It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:13 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Potentially fun trip ruined by multiple menstrual cycles

About four weeks ago, I had planned a short two day one night trip with my girlfriend to hit up 3 highpoints, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Road Island. She was thrilled on the idea and we eagerly looked forward to our short adventure. My sister got word of it, and since she hadn’t had any kind of vacation this summer, asked if she could go.

After all the planning, and gathering of equipment the day before, ...
Read more : Potentially fun trip ruined by multiple menstrual cycles | Views : 11839 | Replies : 51

Slideshow songs

Does anyone have any good suggestions for background music on slideshows of trips in the mountains? Doesn't necessarily have to be all climbing pictures, but a mixture of hiking, climbing, fishing, camping, etc. Just a slideshow of various trips in the outdoors.

So far, I like these:

Blues Traveler - The Mountains Win Again
Paul Simon - Kodachrome
Travis Tritt - It's a Great Day to be Alive

What do you think?
Read more : Slideshow songs | Views : 14290 | Replies : 10

Knots

Does anyone know why a water knot is called a water knot?
Read more : Knots | Views : 8127 | Replies : 5

Skiing down K2

Hey all,

Some will say, shameless self promotion, they are right.

I thought some of the folks on here would be interested to hear about it and see some photos.

Last month I got to ski down a good portion of the Abruzzi ridge on K2. It was a project that started last year and my team-mate Andy Selters took a bunch of great photos. I think you will enjoy them.

http://k2tracks.com/
Read more : Skiing down K2 | Views : 12897 | Replies : 44

the Fall of 2009

http://www.summitpost.org/image/555168/226359/creek-dogwood-with-quaking-aspen.html

The first day of fall in this year of 2009 is imminent. Thus if unblocked by mountains, the sun will rise directly east and set directly west providing an even 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night. At my 37 degree latitude north here in California, at noon the sun will be 90-37= 53 degrees altitude in the sky while a person on the equator would see the sun directly above ...
Read more : the Fall of 2009 | Views : 2894 | Replies : 3

Found: Sunglass case with glasses (Sierra Nevada, California

Hi all,
Sorry if this is a wrong place to post.
I found a sunglass case with sunglasses in it on this Labour Day weekend (Sept 5/6/7, 2009) on the trail to Tower Peak in the Sierra Nevada. I would be happy to hand it over (or mail it) if it is yours. Identify it and the contents and I will do the rest. I will try to post this on some other forums as ...
Read more : Found: Sunglass case with glasses (Sierra Nevada, California | Views : 1612 | Replies : 0

Careers

Just curious, what type of jobs do you all have? What jobs offer good flexibility for climbers?
Read more : Careers | Views : 19325 | Replies : 115

A blast! New avalanche control technology

http://tas.groupemnd.com/en/gazex/gazex.html

Click on the 'videos' link to see it in action. Cool!
Read more : A blast! New avalanche control technology | Views : 4300 | Replies : 14

Riccardo Cassin

I´ve just started reading his autobiography published in 2001. Wonderful book, nicely written, good and interesting illustrations - a real pleasure. He comes across as one of those men it would have been an honour to meet.
Read more : Riccardo Cassin | Views : 5794 | Replies : 12

Mount Kenya - Ice Window Route - Global Warming

I have just recently scanned some pretty good quality 35mm slides I took while climbing the classic Ice Window Route on Mount Kenya in 1977. (Coincidentally, at exactly the same time that Pete Boardman was climbing the Diamond Couloir.)
What is really interesting is comparing the ice coverage then and now -- the difference is dramatic!
I would like to share these images with other members, but I haven't yet found how to upload these ...
Read more : Mount Kenya - Ice Window Route - Global Warming | Views : 7284 | Replies : 10

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557970 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136457