It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 10:34 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

A guide to mountain climbing photography

Hi,

after my trip to the Cordillera Blanca, last June, I wrote a guide to carrying and operating a DSLR on a climbing expedition. It covers many things: what gear to take, how to manage memory and battery, how to carry the gear and not drop it, how to expose properly, what makes a good image, etc...

It has now been published on the website luminous-landscape.com, and I thought many people here would be interested: ...
Read more : A guide to mountain climbing photography | Views : 18250 | Replies : 27

Show your heart with a card (MS) - Update + THANKS!

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some support for a friend of mine who suffers from MS. There’s a lot of things he could use but first and foremost, he needs some encouragement and needs to know people are thinking about him. Sending him a card would be a great gesture and will take 5 minutes of your time and a stamp. Before you move on and click somewhere else, please think about the difference you ...
Read more : Show your heart with a card (MS) - Update + THANKS! | Views : 7589 | Replies : 40

What mountains are on your list?

This has probably been mentioned before, but what mountains are on your list to climb, and why?
Read more : What mountains are on your list? | Views : 17361 | Replies : 64

Goals/how to become a Mountaineer

So, I have decided to make a list of places to make goals to climb. As a little introduction, I live in the Pittsburgh area, and I am 17 and have a decent amount of climbing/belaying experience through school. I have read the Freedom of the Hills. I have also marked my first goal as to complete a climb of Mt. Washington with the IMCS three day course. Based on my skill level and age, ...
Read more : Goals/how to become a Mountaineer | Views : 27103 | Replies : 40

The Passing Of A Dear Friend.....Brutus Of Wyde

Dear friends, it is my deepest regret, with tears in my eyes, to tell you all that Bruce Bindner (aka 'Brutus Of Wyde') has passed from this life and onto the next. Bruce was on his way tonight to meet me to climb Castle Rock Spire in Sequoia National Park when his car went off the road and was killed instantly. As I sit here emotionally exhausted, I find it hard to put into words ...
Read more : The Passing Of A Dear Friend.....Brutus Of Wyde | Views : 22488 | Replies : 84

Longest lines of sight photographed.......

Greetings from a longtime lurker on this site who has followed it from its infancy........

I know this topic has come up every now and then on various websites......this is one I like to look into as a little hobby: What is the farthest you can see from one place to another?

I was surfing some photos of Mount Rainier on here and discovered this remarkable recently-posted view from Brunswick Mountain in British Columbia, north ...
Read more : Longest lines of sight photographed....... | Views : 136400 | Replies : 163

Good Modern Blues-- Suggestions, Please

I am a fan of classic American Blues-- favorites include Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf, and Muddy Waters.

Please recommend some good modern-day performers. I don't like my music with a lot of political commentary, and I like my blues to be the hard, wicked kind-- the stuff that makes you want to grab a pack of harsh cigarettes and a bottle of rotgut whiskey and that covers the great Blues themes like unfaithful ...
Read more : Good Modern Blues-- Suggestions, Please | Views : 7100 | Replies : 51

Helmet-Mounted Video Cameras

Anyone used one when climbing or sking? I´d be grateful of a few pointers.
Read more : Helmet-Mounted Video Cameras | Views : 6095 | Replies : 21

Climbing Solo

I’m doing my first solo climb on mount Dana this weekend the route is all ice now. Have done other solo climbs but this seems a bit more real to me. Any suggestions?

In theory it seems quite simple, I have been up three times with my partner. However, as many times before I do a climb I start thinking about all the scary stuff. :shock:
Read more : Climbing Solo | Views : 31504 | Replies : 103

Joe Simpson

Have read Touching the Void and I am now reading The Beckoning Silence. Both are outstanding books in my opinion. But it is the later book that has convinced me of this author's talent. The guy can write... far better than Jon Krakauer's stuff.

Are Joe Simpson's other books as good?
Read more : Joe Simpson | Views : 5296 | Replies : 13

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557976 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136469