It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:02 pm

News News of Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Site map of Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes) » Forum : Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.

AAC Devil's Lake Craggin' Classic Outing Oct 13-15

Join the American Alpine Club and CAMP USA in Baraboo, WI this October 13th to 15th for the third annual Midwest climbing extravaganza, the Devil's Lake Craggin’ Classic!

This 3-day, grassroots climbing festival is a true celebration of all things climbing, featuring speakers, clinics, comps, local and national gear reps, slideshows, and stewardship projects that define our sport and our community.

The 2017 Craggin’ Classic features a full line-up of climbing clinics taught by pro ...
Read more : AAC Devil's Lake Craggin' Classic Outing Oct 13-15 | Views : 3399 | Replies : 0

CMC Old timers New Climbers Outing at Devil's Lake Aug 19/20

For new or prospective members, don't miss this rare chance to meet long-time club members who may no longer be participating in active club outings, and to make new friends. This is always our biggest and most popular event of the summer season. Come join us!!

The Chicago Mountaineering Club will be supplying the pulled pork, buns, and corn on the cob. Everybody please bring a side dish, salad, or dessert to share. Dinner will ...
Read more : CMC Old timers New Climbers Outing at Devil's Lake Aug 19/20 | Views : 3590 | Replies : 0

Camping on the Great Plains

I am taking my wife and kids on a roadtrip next summer to my sister-in-law's in Wisconsin. Obviously we will be hitting up several destinations in the mountains but the plains are a different matter. What we'd really like to do is camp somewhere on the plains that has a wild character. In an ideal situation, we'd camp out at Agate Fossil Beds or the Tallgrass Prairie, but neither have camping. We don't want farms, ...
Read more : Camping on the Great Plains | Views : 6693 | Replies : 3

LOST left camera on Black Mountain, KY

Reward. Good Friday April 14. Please contact wgni01@yahoo.com
Read more : LOST left camera on Black Mountain, KY | Views : 4996 | Replies : 2

Annual Chicago Mountaineering Club Dinner

The Chicago Mountaineering Club is excited to welcome Lynn Hill as our guest speaker at our 77th annual dinner. Silent auction and raffle prizes of incredible gear donated by our generous sponsors. Don't miss your opportunity to meet other climbers and mountaineers from the Chicago area. Ticket includes all day admission to the zoo and free parking (enter Golf Road entrance and park in Discovery Center parking lot).

DATE AND TIME
Sat, March 11, ...
Read more : Annual Chicago Mountaineering Club Dinner | Views : 4062 | Replies : 0

Bison Horn 'Sharpening Tree'?

Has anyone else seen this type of thing before?

I stumbled across this tree in Badlands National Park, South Dakota. I was going up White Butte in October, 2013. The area was full of bison, including a herd of about 60. This spot was out of the way (I was trying to avoid too many muddy crossings of Sage Creek) but full of signs of bison activity.

I am wondering if this tree was/is ...
Read more : Bison Horn 'Sharpening Tree'? | Views : 8258 | Replies : 7

Skills Practice in Midwest

Wondering if anyone knows of some decent spots in the midwest to practice basic snow climbing skills (self-arrest, placing pickets and other snow protection, crampon techniques, etc). Currently stuck in Iowa and want to stay on top of things and potentially do some knowledge transfer.

Currently reaching out to some ski resorts but so far no luck (most say their insurance won't cover this type of activity).
Read more : Skills Practice in Midwest | Views : 4838 | Replies : 2

Time estimate for Eagle Rock Loop / Ouachita

Considering a trail run on Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas' Ouachita National Forest.

It's supposed to be about 26 miles long.

Seems that the numerous climbs and water crossings can take much longer than a straightforward run.

Hoping to do it in a day. Anyone done it? Thanks.
Read more : Time estimate for Eagle Rock Loop / Ouachita | Views : 4533 | Replies : 1

New to the midwest

Hi guys,

I have just arrived in Indiana, Bloomington and I am looking for places to do some winter climbs later this year. I understand that there is nothing around here, but what would be the closest? I know Red River Gorge is the closest for rock climbing but what about ice/winter climbing? I have just arrived from Europe, so any advice on joining clubs would be appreciated.

Thanks
Read more : New to the midwest | Views : 4116 | Replies : 0

Illinois High Point open June 4, 5 - carpool from Chicago? Illinois High Point open June 4, 5 - carpool from Chicago?

I will be in Chicago during the weekend of June 4-5. Is anyone planning to go to the Illinois High Point from there? The high point is only open a few days a year, including first weekend of summer months. Feel free to message me.
Read more : Illinois High Point open June 4, 5 - carpool from Chicago? | Views : 5112 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136427