It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:30 pm

News News of Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Site map of Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes) » Forum : Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.

Any elevation gain at all near Columbus, OH? Any elevation gain at all near Columbus, OH?

Considering a move to Columbus, OH to work at OSU. Is there any elevation gain to be had within 15-20 minutes of the city? If so, where is it and how much gain is there? Maybe somewhere with a "hilly" trail run?? I am aware of Hocking hills, but that is too far for an after work outing.
Read more : Any elevation gain at all near Columbus, OH? | Views : 7667 | Replies : 4

Annual Chicago Mountaineering Club dinner: Conrad Anker!

The Chicago Mountaineering Club is proud to announce that Conrad Anker will be the keynote speaker at our 76th annual dinner event! The event is being held on March 12th at Brookfield Zoo. It is open to the public. (Advanced ticket required.) Don't miss it...!!!

Money raised from this event will be going to the Khumbu Climbing Center in Nepal. "The Khumbu Climbing Center (KCC) was launched in 2003 and over the past eleven years ...
Read more : Annual Chicago Mountaineering Club dinner: Conrad Anker! | Views : 6249 | Replies : 2

White Butte, ND Parking

Is there enough room to park and turn around a pick-up with a 23' camp trailer at (or near) the trail head for White Butte (ND high point)?
Read more : White Butte, ND Parking | Views : 6177 | Replies : 1

STUCK IN MIDWEST

Hi, just had to move from Montana to Illinois this winter and am going to be stuck here for a couple years :evil: . I live in the north central part of the state and I know about devils lake in wisconsin but does anyone know of anywhere to boulder/climb near north central IL, don't think I've seen an actual rock any where in ...
Read more : STUCK IN MIDWEST | Views : 7430 | Replies : 1

Monument Rocks, Kansas: Winter Road Conditions?

Is anyone aware or have a sense what the road conditions are like getting to the Monument Rocks in the winter? I know there are a few miles of dirt roads. Are they pretty slick or are they passable this time of year?
Read more : Monument Rocks, Kansas: Winter Road Conditions? | Views : 7587 | Replies : 3

RIP Olle Swartling

Olle Swartling passed away this past weekend.

Olle was the author of the climber's guidebook for Devil's Lake and a very active member (and past President) of the Chicago Mountaineering Club. We will miss him dearly. :cry:
Read more : RIP Olle Swartling | Views : 6262 | Replies : 0

climbing season, and this weekend, in Jackson Falls IL?

I'm visiting some (non-climber) friends in Marion IL this coming weekend until Monday. Wonder if it makes sense to rent a car and devote one day to climbing in Jackson Falls... I'll have no partner and probably won't bring rope so I'd need to team up with some local climbers :)
Anyone? I see t-storms and heat on the forecast though, does it mean climbing is off ...
Read more : climbing season, and this weekend, in Jackson Falls IL? | Views : 6545 | Replies : 0

2014 CMC Annual Dinner

The CMC Annual Dinner has been scheduled for March 8th in Aurora, IL. Everyone is welcome. Drop me a note if you plan to attend. Hope to see you there!

The Chicago Mountaineering Club (CMC) is proud to have Will Gadd as our guest speaker for the 2014 CMC Annual Dinner on Saturday March 8th at the Two Brothers Roundhouse. 205 North Broadway, Aurora, IL 60506.

Will is known as being one of the most ...
Read more : 2014 CMC Annual Dinner | Views : 7136 | Replies : 0

Point Of Rocks, Kansas

Totally random here, but has anyone been to Point of Rocks in Kansas? I may be hitting it up soon (long story). I wish there was a Summitpost page on it!
Read more : Point Of Rocks, Kansas | Views : 8850 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136429