It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:34 pm

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Cell Reception - Granite Peak

Can anyone who has climbed Granite in recent years comment on the cell reception and which carrier? Going to be taking SW approach from Cooke City this summer and would like to be able to keep in touch with my wife if weather puts us behind. Would like to avoid renting a sat phone if reception is decent enough up there. Thanks!
Read more : Cell Reception - Granite Peak | Views : 4505 | Replies : 3

Need advises on Northern Rockies alpine routes

Hello, we're a party of two French-Canadian climbers that would like to climb in the Northern Rockies in either late spring or early summer 2019 for a approximately a two weeks trip. However we had never climbed in US Rockies and would like to get some advises/tips on best suggested routes to ascent summits, and suggested time of year for best climbing. For alpine route, we're comfortable with Class 4 climbs (average 5.5-5.6 route on ...
Read more : Need advises on Northern Rockies alpine routes | Views : 5071 | Replies : 5

Cloud Peak in February

My father and I are planning on going up cloud peak in February. Has anyone climbed it in the winter? Is there a ton of fluffy snow on the mountain? Do we need show shoes? or will crampons be enough? I've also heard Chinook winds can blow over the ridge?

If anyone has any information about the southern route in the winter, it would be greatly appreciated
Read more : Cloud Peak in February | Views : 3756 | Replies : 2

Grizzly encounter in the Winds

It's been 4 months since anything was posted here so I thought I'd end the drought. Search this topic now and again to see what's happening and saw this today. Food for thought for travelers in the Wind River Range.
https://mountainjournal.org/a-hiker-sho ... izzly-bear
Read more : Grizzly encounter in the Winds | Views : 3672 | Replies : 0

Wind River Range backpacking partner in August?

I'm hoping to do a week-long backpacking trip in the Wind River Range in August. I can go any time in August. I don't do climbing or glaciers. I'd like to do Nancy Pallister's Route #40, Tourist and Wells Creeks, in the northwest part of the range, under Gannett Peak. Route #46, Northern Winds Trans-Divide North, looks awesome but ten days may be too much. My goal is to shoot pictures of the high massif ...
Read more : Wind River Range backpacking partner in August? | Views : 3005 | Replies : 0

Gannet Conditions and crossing the 'schrund

Anyone been up to Gannet yet this year?
I am looking at heading out in maybe two weeks, but it will be a solo trip. I'm assuming at this point there is no snow bridge on the Gooseneck glacier and trying to figure out how viable is it for a solo climber to get across or around it.

Any suggestions appreciated
Read more : Gannet Conditions and crossing the 'schrund | Views : 3307 | Replies : 1

Sawtooths Info

I'm not a very experienced climber or mountaineer but I'm planning a trip to the Sawtooths this summer and would love some feedback.

I'm planning on going from the Iron Creek trailhead to Goat lake and then up the valley to Thompson Peak. From Thompson I'm hoping to pop over to Sawtooth lake by one of the saddles (around Mnt Carter) that separate the two valleys, and then make the loop back to the Iron ...
Read more : Sawtooths Info | Views : 3019 | Replies : 0

Bora Mountain Bora Mountain

A friend and I are looking at hiking Bora Mountain in Idaho the 3rd week in June. The course we are planning is the Chicken-out ridge path. Can anyone fill me in with some guidance on there still being snow up there. We are not planning on using axes or cramp-on's. Otherwise we will do late July. Thank you ahead of time for the advice.
Read more : Bora Mountain | Views : 3070 | Replies : 0

Wanna Work My Way Up To Granite Peak - Where Do I Start?

We come visit Montana a week or two each year and stay in the Helena area. We've hiked Mount Ascension and Mount Helena a few times, but what I really want to do is work my way up to Granite Peak. What are some good peaks to work on before jumping in there? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Read more : Wanna Work My Way Up To Granite Peak - Where Do I Start? | Views : 6546 | Replies : 7

Bozeman Backpackers UNITE!!

Hello all my fellow outdoor friends!!

Just wanted to see if there are others around Bozeman who love to back pack and explore these amazing trails as much as i DO!!! I have a bunch of hikes and summits for this summer. Post up and lets get a group hike going!
Read more : Bozeman Backpackers UNITE!! | Views : 2555 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557954 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136420