It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:16 am

News News of Oceania and Pacific Islands

Site map of Oceania and Pacific Islands » Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.

XC Backpacking & Mountaineering on Kerguelen Island

Anyone on the net been to Kerguelen in the past five years. Read a recent article on a French Mountaineering Party which made the Second Ascent of Mt Ross 6430' and two other unclimbed peaks on the Mt Ross Ice Field. Since there is only one regular ship resuppling the research base three times a year from Reunion Island access is very limited to the island and preference is given on the ship to relatives ...
Read more : XC Backpacking & Mountaineering on Kerguelen Island | Views : 6683 | Replies : 2

New Zealand Winter Conditions 2008

Hey All,

I'm heading over to NZ in the second half of August for a spot of climbing. Has anyone been over there this winter yet and seen the ice and snow conditions on the south island?

Cheers,
Dan
Read more : New Zealand Winter Conditions 2008 | Views : 3693 | Replies : 2

New New Zealander (well Pom really)

Hi People... Just to say I'm moving home. Instead of England, UK as from 25th July New Zealand will be my new country!!!! Hope to meet some of you over there, easy hikes only though!!!! 8) Gem
Read more : New New Zealander (well Pom really) | Views : 2778 | Replies : 5

New Zealand Dec/Jan 08/09. Who's up for some fun?

Hey guys and girls. I'm planning on spending around a month or so tramping around the south island; probably sticking to the southern alps region, weather pending etc etc....living out of tent, huts etc.
I'm keen as all buggery to get as many peaks in as I can and would love to do lots of glacier crossing to get the confidence/skill up.

Anyone going to be in an about that whole region at the end ...
Read more : New Zealand Dec/Jan 08/09. Who's up for some fun? | Views : 2386 | Replies : 2

Age (79) no barrier for climber

Doug Ball aged 79 has climbed Mt Aspiring in a twelve hour climb.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/sto ... d=10496646
He has three ascents of Mt Cook
Read more : Age (79) no barrier for climber | Views : 2085 | Replies : 1

Totem Pole

Read more : Totem Pole | Views : 4371 | Replies : 2

Hero Climber risks neck for mate

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/sto ... d=10490916
A climber spent five hours abseiling down a fiordland cliff to get help for his friend.
Read more : Hero Climber risks neck for mate | Views : 2389 | Replies : 2

hiking trails in N.T

Sorry guys this is not really climbing related but was hoping someone may have some input being outdoor types!
Heading up north this dry thinking about doing one of the longer trails (and hoping to get some barra fishing in along the way).
Spent ten days in the katherine area last year, use the centre as a base doing one and two nighters. that my back-up if i don't come up with anything else as ...
Read more : hiking trails in N.T | Views : 1824 | Replies : 1

New Zealand in Feb

I'll be on the South Island in February without gear so was looking at a few peaks to do solo but the pages on SP are few and far between (or with scant info).

1-Does anyone know the distance and time from Lake Alta to the summit of Double Cone? And how technical is it? Photos show ropes but threads seem to indicate this to be easy.

also

2-Has anyone done the ridge from Avalanche ...
Read more : New Zealand in Feb | Views : 7048 | Replies : 14

Lifes a beach.

Anyone have a favorite island to visit ?
Read more : Lifes a beach. | Views : 2137 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557974 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136462