It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 5:19 pm

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

New Mexico

Does anyone have any info. on sheer cliffs or bluffs ranging from 250-500 ft? Also how accessible would they be? Im new to the area and was super curious. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!! :wink:
Read more : New Mexico | Views : 4917 | Replies : 10 | Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

The Anti-Spray Thread

I took the Girl Scouts on a patented death march last Sunday. Over three miles, nearly 300ft of gain, with a visit to the non-native white fallow deer. No rain, no snow, no sun for that matter. Utterly brutal affair.

I like this thread. :)
Read more : The Anti-Spray Thread | Views : 13910 | Replies : 46 | Forum : Ethics, Spray, and Slander

Sleeping Pads

http://www.rei.com/product/781098
Any one have this pad?
Read more : Sleeping Pads | Views : 2560 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Gear

Re: More features

squishy wrote:When is SP gonna get a CMS upgrade?

We just got a newly refurbished IBM Selectric. It has a backspace function that automatically erases the last character typed. And the ball-type imprinter is great - no more jamming when multiple keys are accidentally pressed.
Read more : Re: More features | Views : 1606 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Site Feedback

Utah in January

Hey everyone,
I am going to be in the area of Utah for a couple weeks in January. As i have never been there, i was wondering what the climbing situation is like over there during the winter months. Are there any cant miss spots that i should look into? This goes for both ice and rock. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Read more : Utah in January | Views : 3414 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Utah

Fuel Canister Near ABQ

I'll be flying into ABQ and going camping south of town. Is there any place around there where I can buy an isopro fuel canister for my MSR stove? I know of the REI north of town on 25 but I'm hoping to find something on my way out.
Read more : Fuel Canister Near ABQ | Views : 1543 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Mammoth Mountain opens this Friday

Not exactly backcountry skiing, but Mammoth Mountain opens this Friday and whoever shows up on Friday, rides for free.
Read more : Mammoth Mountain opens this Friday | Views : 2398 | Replies : 10 | Forum : California

Climbing a summit or a cliff ?

I took another trad newbie on a climb in Yosemite last weekend -- a young strong buck and a good guy, one of these Sierra Challenge dudes. Like a lot of these folks who follow in the footsteps of Bob Burd, he said he was not as much interested in rock climbing as he was in summiting peaks.

To each his own -- that's why they call it freedom of the hills ...
Read more : Climbing a summit or a cliff ? | Views : 11586 | Replies : 51 | Forum : Ethics, Spray, and Slander

Suggestions for a destination

I'm looking to take a month long trip in June '10 and am looking for a destination(s). I've done a bit of research, but things just seem to circle around and around. So, I'm looking for recommendations. Here are the (preferred - its hard to meet all) criteria, in somewhat significance based order.

1. Alpine climbing
2. Prefer snow/ice/mixed to purely rock climbing
3. Routes generally in condition in June, some flexibility either way is ...
Read more : Suggestions for a destination | Views : 6701 | Replies : 24 | Forum : General

Cactus to Clouds conditions?

Did the storm we experienced up in The Bay make its way down there at all? If so, what is the snow situation? Snow up high? If so, what elevation? Miserable post-holing or energy-consuming powder at a certain elevation & above, or standard hiking expected? Is the tramway still open? Beta appreciated.
Read more : Cactus to Clouds conditions? | Views : 1680 | Replies : 5 | Forum : California

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558010 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136547