It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:45 am

News News of Regional Boards - North America

Site map of Regional Boards - North America » Forum : Regional Boards - North America

Mt. Washington & Katahdin in summer, trekking poles?

For those that have climbed Katahdin or Mt. Washington, how useful are trekking poles? I will be going to Washington in late June and Kathadin in July. I've heard mixed reports via TR's on their usefulness for both, some say they unnecessarily get in the way and are a hindrance while others swear by them. Plan is for Huntington Ravine for the ascent on Washington if the weather allows and Lions Head on the way ...

Bonus peaks near Alta Peak

Some random questions about early-spring peakbagging in the Alta Peak area:

- What's the traverse from Winter Alta (Pk 11328') to Alta to Pk 10561' like (scrambling difficulty, fun-value, etc.)? I was thinking of ascending via Pear Lake (or possibly Moose Lake), then descending the the ridge SW of Aster Lake...but I'm not sure about the nature of the ridge between Alta and Pk 10561'.
- Is Big Bird Peak worthwhile?
- Has anyone followed ...
Read more : Bonus peaks near Alta Peak | Views : 1265 | Replies : 4 | Forum : California

Moon Goddess Arete in Winter

Miguel Carmona and I climbed the Moon Goddess Arete on March 19,2010. We had very cold conditions and a strong wind all day and night. We roped 21 pitches as the innitial ridge to the 1st tower was snowed in and we had to belay it. We took 26 hours RT to climb and descent the route to our tent at Third Lake. Please see the "What's New" and New Trip Reports section of the ...
Read more : Moon Goddess Arete in Winter | Views : 1958 | Replies : 9 | Forum : California

South Colony Road

There is now a permanent closure of South Colony road at 2.6 miles past the lower TH/parking lot (approximately one-half mile past the Rainbow Trail marker). At the closure is a new gate and parking for about 30 vehicles. They also have new designated campsites along the road and are in the process of constructing designated campsites in the basin. The ranger also told me today that eventually, there will be a permit/fee system to ...
Read more : South Colony Road | Views : 6620 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Colorado

2010 Sierra Challenge - Aug 6-15

If you missed the previous Challenges and had to be content with reading the daily logs on SP, now's your chance. In fact, it may be your last chance since this is the 10th and likely final Sierra Challenge I'll be organizing.

The all-new 2010 Sierra Challenge gives you ten days in August to challenge your stamina and your sanity amidst the beauty that is the Sierra Nevada. Leave your heavy backpacks and marginal camp ...
Read more : 2010 Sierra Challenge - Aug 6-15 | Views : 60058 | Replies : 110 | Forum : California

indian creek temps/conditions

hi!
does anyone have recent temps/climbing conditions in indian creek UT? i am considering a climbing trip and wanted to know if its been too cold for climbing. thanks!
Read more : indian creek temps/conditions | Views : 1351 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Utah

Peaks in the Boundary Waters Wilderness?

Looking over the Boundary Waters on the terrain map, it looks like there are some large ridges and even peaklets. Do y'all know if there are any reasonably prominent peaks? Has anyone even been to the Boundary Waters?
Read more : Peaks in the Boundary Waters Wilderness? | Views : 3823 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Going to Missoula

I'll be in Missoula next week if anyone wants to meet a fat, ugly SP trouble maker. Send me a PM.
Read more : Going to Missoula | Views : 2821 | Replies : 13 | Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Road to Vincent Gap open?

I assume it is but don't trust Caltrans. Does anyone know for sure?
Read more : Road to Vincent Gap open? | Views : 1781 | Replies : 4 | Forum : California

need recent skiing-conditions photos for SHASTA + Mt TOM

mount shasta (south-side) and mt tom (elderberry canyon). planning a couple of ski trips within the week.... much appreciated!
Read more : need recent skiing-conditions photos for SHASTA + Mt TOM | Views : 2269 | Replies : 4 | Forum : California

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557962 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136430