It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:42 am

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Mercedario - Cordon de le Ramada conditions

Check before you go, I heard that access is closed to many of the mountains in the San Juan region due to the lagoon break this past week. Mudslides took out 2 bridges and the routes are said to be impassable on Mercedario. I heard it also affected Cerro Negro and general access in the region.
Read more : Mercedario - Cordon de le Ramada conditions | Views : 1965 | Replies : 7

Permit office for Aconcagua - new location

SUBSECRETARÍA DE TURISMO på San Martín 1143.

Close to Plaza Independencia and Hotel Nitibara.
Read more : Permit office for Aconcagua - new location | Views : 1410 | Replies : 1

Guiding services?

In S. America? Anyone ever climb with Sol Expeditions?
Read more : Guiding services? | Views : 1455 | Replies : 1

Arequipa area private transport to mountains?

Just wanted to hear from those of you that have been in the area.

We are planning a trip this next year and want to know the best options for getting the base of some of the mountains in the Arequipa area. Private transport is preferred and we are willing to pay more to get more. By that I mean we want something reliable and honest.

Our plans are to hit some of the area ...
Read more : Arequipa area private transport to mountains? | Views : 1962 | Replies : 5

Snow around Aconcagua

Hi. Does anyone know the snow conditions in the valleys around Aconcagua leading to Plaza Argentina specifically.

I have been recieving reports that there was a record snowfall this winter. Something like 30 feet. My concern is, will it be an issue early in the climbing season (December) getting mules up to base camp such as crossing the Rio Vacas and Rio Lenchos.

If anyone has any info on this. I would appreciate it.

Cheers ...
Read more : Snow around Aconcagua | Views : 5312 | Replies : 17

What's new - South America

<font color="red">
I will travel and climb a lot in 2006.
I haven't had the time to look after this thread properly and it's unlikely I can in the future.
I would be happy if someone else started a new thread on the same topic or took over this one.
Thanks.
</font>

This thread will highlight new pages for South America. It will include mountain pages, routes, and trip reports.

I will keep an eye ...
Read more : What's new - South America | Views : 4045 | Replies : 5

Basic Info for climbing in Ecuador wanted

Questions:
1. What is the availability of gas (equivalent of coleman fuel) for gas stoves? Where can it be purchased? What is it called locally?

2. Will my AA battery recharger work on the Ecuadorian electric grid?

3. What food can be brought into the country?

4. Can you recommend particular guidebooks or maps.? (The two Ecuadorian climbing guides I saw on Amazon.com did not receive good reviews overall.)

5. Can you recommend places to ...
Read more : Basic Info for climbing in Ecuador wanted | Views : 2749 | Replies : 7

Columbia

Has any SP ers climbed in this country lately? Is it safe to venture? Are any areas safe? Appreciate any beta.
Read more : Columbia | Views : 4308 | Replies : 16

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557954 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136418