It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:35 am

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Grand Canyon in May

I have applied for and got a permit for the Grand Canyon in the first week of May - but have had a letter back saying they think my route is dangerous because its too long. I've tried to get through to the rangers to discuss it but just get the engaged tone and wondered what people thought:

Day 1: South Kaibab to the Colorado and up to Cottonwood CG (13.2 m and 1,600 ft ...
Read more : Grand Canyon in May | Views : 3104 | Replies : 6

outdoor magazine interest

Is there a current magazine that focuses on all the mountain activities for this state? If there is one, please let me know. I knew about "Utah Outdoors" but they went out of circulation a long time ago. It would be fun to get something like that started up again....if there isn't one.
Read more : outdoor magazine interest | Views : 1017 | Replies : 1

1000pks deleted his pages - including these in the SW

These peaks in Nevada were deleted:
Mount Airy
Desert Creek Peak
East Sister (Nevada) (Sisters collected !)
Sherman Peak (W Central NV) (Nevada 2,000 ft Prominence Peaks)
South Shoshone Peak
Mount Augusta (Nevada 2,000 ft Prominence Peaks)
Matterhorn (NV) (Nevada 2,000 ft Prominence Peaks)
Blue Eagle Mountain (Nevada 2,000 ft Prominence Peaks)
Mount Moriah (NV) (Great Basin National Park)
Liberty Peak (NE NV) (Ruby Mountains)
Read more : 1000pks deleted his pages - including these in the SW | Views : 3112 | Replies : 2

Hiking Mt. Humphreys

After a fortunate turn of events, I have recently booked airfare and a hotel in Phoenix to attend the UConn Fiesta Bowl this year. Knowing that I couldn't go so far west without conquering another highpoint, I am trying to get some plans together for Mt. Humphreys. I'll be in Arizona and available from Dec. 29th to Jan. 6th and looking for another interested hiker or group to join myself and long time friend JJ. ...
Read more : Hiking Mt. Humphreys | Views : 2120 | Replies : 0

Grand Canyon Pointers

Hey all, I'm planning a trip out west this summer and the plan is to hike rim to rim in the Grand Canyon. I have done a ton of hiking, however, I'm from New York; the Canyon is a totally different animal than the ADKs. With that said, I was just curious if anyone could offer any helpful advice-gear, trails, etc etc. Any info is appreciated! Merry Christmas and Happy Trails! Cheers!
Read more : Grand Canyon Pointers | Views : 8219 | Replies : 13

Satellite views for recent DV snow coverage?

Folks have occasionally posted satellite views of the Sierra, so one can judge snow coverage. I'm interested in the area around Mount Palmer on the E side of Death Valley and near the CA-NV border. What is the best source for relatively recent, preferably higher-res photos?
Read more : Satellite views for recent DV snow coverage? | Views : 1611 | Replies : 3

Late April

Hi,

I'm looking for a good hiking destination for late april 2011. What will conditions be like in Zion / Bryce / Grand Canyon? I know the road to the Grand Canyon North Rim will be shut but I understand backpacking into the canyon would be fine. Can you do Angels Landing at this time of year - is there any ice? (that may be a daft question - I really don't know!!!)

Thanks,

David
Read more : Late April | Views : 2165 | Replies : 5

Texhoma Newbie

Hey, I just joined, and I'm kinda new to the whole camping/climbing scene. I live in the Texhoma area, and I was wondering if anyone around there would be willing to sort of train me. I have a few issues, but nothing that I'm not willing to work around. Please let me know.
Read more : Texhoma Newbie | Views : 1677 | Replies : 10

Montezuma's Head (Organ Pipes NM) Closed Montezuma's Head (Organ Pipes NM) Closed

Just heard from Wingman that no one is allowed to climb Montezuma's Head at this time. No word on if and when access may be permitted again.
Read more : Montezuma's Head (Organ Pipes NM) Closed | Views : 8608 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136425