It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:22 pm

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Mt. Charleston beta

Anyone seen this/been up since the past weekend's storms? Will be heading that direction Friday night to hoof it as far as i can, conditions determining progress.

Thanks in advance,
-Laura 8)
Read more : Mt. Charleston beta | Views : 3402 | Replies : 12

Muddy Peak, Nevada

On Friday, I got a chance to bag Muddy Peak near Lake Mead/Valley of Fire . It's a really pretty area. Here are some of the pictures I took:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/Nevada-Hikes-and-Scrambles/Muddy-Peak-5387-A-Desert/10465502_DfVTi#726012075_KqJou

I'd recommend this trek/scramble to anyone willing to drive down the road to where you start.
Read more : Muddy Peak, Nevada | Views : 8837 | Replies : 23

Moving to TX...can I climb?

Headed to San Angelo (west of Austin), anything to do out there? I suppose Ice Climbing is out of the question! Hiking would be cool; anything with a rope would be great!

Thanks
JW
Read more : Moving to TX...can I climb? | Views : 2265 | Replies : 4

Morey higher peak? (Hot Creek Range, NV)

I've been up the official Morey benchmark twice, and also up that peak ~0.25 miles to the NE. I recall reading (from Pete Y) that the NE peak is actually a bit higher.

Anyone know how the other peak was determined to be higher? Did someone use a sighting level?

I'm writing up the routes for Morey.
Read more : Morey higher peak? (Hot Creek Range, NV) | Views : 2311 | Replies : 12

Mount Humphreys Arizona

Can anyone give me advice on hiking Humphreys in Arizona? I plan on being there on December 29th. Do I need any special tools, crampons, etc...? What is the best route for a day hike? Is the Snow bowl road open? If it is closed how do I get to Humphreys? Is the mountain full of snow? I have lots of questions.
Read more : Mount Humphreys Arizona | Views : 29773 | Replies : 115

Boundary Peak conditions

Has anyone been to Boundary Peak (and Montgomery Peak in CA) lately?

Was wondering about the condition of the road (Trail Canyon Rd.) for a 2WD car.

Also, is these any snow yet?

Thanks.
Read more : Boundary Peak conditions | Views : 3827 | Replies : 8

tucson area scrambling suggestions?

I'm planning a motorcycle trip to Tucson for the long T-day weekend and am looking for route suggestions (soloing so 5.7 max). Thinking about the W Gully on Elephant Head and Thimble Peak. thanks
Read more : tucson area scrambling suggestions? | Views : 6244 | Replies : 7

Mount Charleston Ice????

Any word on if the ice near Mt. Charleston (NV) is in climbable condition?
Read more : Mount Charleston Ice???? | Views : 2653 | Replies : 3

Franklin Mountains, El Paso, TX: Security?

Hopefully I'll hear from some El Paso locals or others familiar with the area...

In a few weeks, the opportunity will present itself for me to have most of one day free to dayhike in the El Paso area. Not surprisingly, as I'm posting this on SP, the Franklin Mountains are of particular interest.

Now, I've previously visited both El Paso and Juarez and I've got to confess, compared to Colorado Springs (where a bar ...
Read more : Franklin Mountains, El Paso, TX: Security? | Views : 5481 | Replies : 13

(Relatively) Snow Free Peaks in March

I might be heading down to Vegas in March for a buddy's bachelor party, and I figure I might as well try to knock out some peaks along the way in the area. I assume most of the Great Basin peaks in NV and CA are still snowed over, but how are conditions usually that time of year in Southern AZ and NM (ie Graham, Wrightson, Chiricahua, Miller, Lemmon, Big Hatchet, Organ, etc)?

Thanks
Read more : (Relatively) Snow Free Peaks in March | Views : 5866 | Replies : 13

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557954 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136420