It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:52 am

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Grand Canyon NP

Hi all. I'm thinking of going to the park for a week or so backpacking in mid December and was wondering if someone could suggest a good composite map of the area that I can buy online so I can decide on a route. Thank you.
Read more : Grand Canyon NP | Views : 4298 | Replies : 15

Wild Horses in Boundary Wilderness?!

Me and my partner were doing Boundary Peak (NV) earlier this summer and we came across a group of what we believed wild horses in the Boundary Peak Wilderness. It was at the upper end of the meadow you hike through at the beginnig of the Trail Canyon Route. It was group of 6 or 7 horses with one stallion, a foal and another pregnant horse. Unfortunately, my pictures came out blurry so I can't ...
Read more : Wild Horses in Boundary Wilderness?! | Views : 6085 | Replies : 19

Weather & Climbing Conditions for Lake Peak, Santa Fe NF

Hello,

I am planning to climb Lake Peak, in the Sangre de Cristo Mountain range, during Thanksviging weekend. Have any of you folks climbed this peak during this time before? I was wondering how the weather will be up there as well as the amount of snow that I could come across? Also, is the trail relatively easy to follow? Is a topo map needed?

I can't wait to go out there. I never knew ...
Read more : Weather & Climbing Conditions for Lake Peak, Santa Fe NF | Views : 2300 | Replies : 5

Enchanted Rock - beta

Looking for some beta on Enchanted Rock near Fredericksburg, TX; hopefully Dave and I will be climbing there in a week (pending good weather). What's this about the park has a daily limit? How early is "early" for a day pass to go rock climbing?
I can't find enough explicit info on the Enchanted Rock State website.
Read more : Enchanted Rock - beta | Views : 4899 | Replies : 21

Sudden vacation suggestions

So due to some changing circumstances I'm looking at taking advantage of some free time my girlfriend finally has, and getting out, and maybe even out of California for a bit.

She'd like to see some of the desert west, Is it still warm in parts of Southern AZ in November? We'd mostly be camping, hiking, and travelling with the new dog on this trip, so I was a bit concerend about it being cold ...
Read more : Sudden vacation suggestions | Views : 2187 | Replies : 11

Decent Climbing In NE Texas

So, I'm here on business in Texas but I have some spare time on the weekend to get out and climb. Deb is also coming out on the 3rd of Nov. and hope to get in some Texas climbing. I'm trying to keep the traveling to a moderate level (ie no more than 2 hours from Fort Worth). Any quality crags or area worth climbing at? Is Lake Mineral Wells State Park worth a trip? ...
Read more : Decent Climbing In NE Texas | Views : 5197 | Replies : 15

How is Guadalupe in March?

I've read that spring break can bring a lot of people to this mountain. The weather seems like it would be pretty nice in March, but I don't really want to deal with lots of spring break crowds. Would I be better off going in late February? Exactly how big are these spring break crowds? Also, when is the spring break period in the West Texas area?
Read more : How is Guadalupe in March? | Views : 17101 | Replies : 20

Phoenix day outing ideas

I will be in the Phoenix area for Thanksgiving and I have set aside at least one full day for a day climb/hike of something. Besides seeing the Grand Canyon I'm ashamed to say that I've never really spent any time in AZ. I will be bringing my girlfriend along so nothing too brutal. Also, looking for something fairly close. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Read more : Phoenix day outing ideas | Views : 2629 | Replies : 9

climbing partners in RR's,NV around 30 and 31.

I'm looking at climbing in Red Rocks,NV area around October 30-31. I'm in need to get out of Utah for the weekend. Anyone interested in hooking up the weekend for some trad climbing or sport as well. I have desert rack and rope, climbing around 5.6 - 5.9 leading. I sure can clean above that as well.

Cheers
Mike
Read more : climbing partners in RR's,NV around 30 and 31. | Views : 2144 | Replies : 4

New Mexico

Does anyone have any info. on sheer cliffs or bluffs ranging from 250-500 ft? Also how accessible would they be? Im new to the area and was super curious. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!! :wink:
Read more : New Mexico | Views : 4850 | Replies : 10

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557946 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136400