Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: PLEASE DISABLE THE EMAIL SYSTEM

by Scott » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:33 am

Did they try to become members just to e-mail Scott,

Yes, some people do that (and I'm sure I am not alone). They want to ask questions about some mountain, canyon, feature, or whatever. Sometimes it's just a hiker/climber. Sometimes it is the park service looking for information and sometimes search and rescue looking. At least twice it has been a real emergency, such as when Search and Rescue didn't know where a place was and asked me to help explain where it was (and no I didn't have an SP page on it), though that was a few years ago. Luckily if it is an emergency, people are inclined to leave phone numbers.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:58 am

Scott has stalkers!

desainme

by desainme » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:48 am

The pm stuff has worked for me when I needed it. There are a few pm's that I have gotten that I can't respond to, but then I have no intention of mailing back anyway.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 am

mrchad9 wrote:Quit editing peoples' profiles Josh!

Aside from two members requesting me to edit their profile, your profile was the last one I edited. :wink: I made zero changes except for hitting the submit button. Chad blew up, I never did it again. :lol:

When I told Scott to hit edit, that is different from actually editing one's profile. I think your just trying to get me out of breath (whoops, did I fall for Chad's trap?). :P

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:31 am

Yes... you did.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Fletch

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:02 pm

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Chad is just trying to get another "thank you," so he can have 1,000 "THANKED" on his forum posts. Nothin' wrong with that; just saying ..... :lol:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
chugach mtn boy, Fletch

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:28 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Yes... you did.

Really? So what do you believe I added to your profile? Or do you think I took something away? :? So if your sure of this, you must have some sort of evidence to fall back on. I however am not one bit convinced.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:(whoops, did I fall for Chad's trap?). :P

Yes... you did.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:47 pm

I took the bait anyways. :wink: Fletch was giving me the feeling that he thought I was going around editing people's profile for fun. Mr. Chad was the only person I did this on which had 0 actual edits to his profile except for hitting the submit button when in edit mode.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:07 pm

For the record, I like the e-mail system. For communicating with regularly active users, sending a pm works fine, but for others e-mails seem to be more effective - if not always. Therefore I would like to keep it.

However, I agree that when someone sends an e-mail, the senders address should be automatically included.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Scott wrote:
The email includes their username - right?

Yes, but I can't find the profiles above. Did they get deleted?

Sometimes they are still in there but don't show up in the search.

I had that problem recently as well. It was someone asking for permission to use some pictures. Fortunately, the person did include her email address.

Josh Lewis wrote:
Scott wrote:I actually get a whole lot of emails and seldom do they include the address.

This is where you use your elf powers. The email includes their username - right? So type up their username in the people list, click their profile, and click edit profile on that person. You'll see their email address. Yes annoying, but it's all we got for now.

And to everyone who thinks that's sneaky: It's not being sneaky if it's done only to the members who emailed you. If this glitch didn't exist you would already expose your email to the member who you emailed. 8)

Actually, it wouldn't. What SP needs is the system Craigslist has-- you can email directly back and forth through their system but keep your actual email address hidden. I would vastly prefer that to something that gives away my email address when I reply. Not all spammers and scammers are obvious at first, and there's always the chance that the legit person you're talking to might turn out to be some kind of nutcase.

And publicly telling Scott to do something that only elves can do doesn't help all the other members who have to deal with this problem!
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:29 am

I have never had a problem and like the system just the way it is. Leave well enough alone.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:And publicly telling Scott to do something that only elves can do doesn't help all the other members who have to deal with this problem!

Right, but Scott is the main one who has this issue. Perhaps I should have told him in private. At least the other elves who read what I say also have a possible solution. :wink:

Previous

Return to Site Feedback