Report Bugs Here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Report Bugs Here

by Scott » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:28 pm

The pictures at the bottom of the page show. No matter how many times I insert the pictures in the top of the page and take the page out of "under construction", it always goes back to under construction and the pictures at the top of the page never show. This is becoming very frustrating.

Caching has been turned on. The first time a page is served, a copy of it is saved to the disk. The second time that page is served, the copy is served from the disk. So you're seeing the caching page. However, if you're logged into the site, you will always see the page being served live. No cached pages are served to logged in users.

Are you viewing the page in a browser in which you are logged into the site?

I think I see what Nader may be referring to or maybe it is an entirely different issue.

When I look at a page I recently have edit, I see the previous version of the page (before the most recent edits) even in edit mode, so it appears that the page hasn't been edit. If while in edit mode, I hit refresh, the new changes do show up. Should caching effect pages within edit mode? It seems strange that it would.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Scott wrote:When I look at a page I recently have edit, I see the previous version of the page (before the most recent edits) even in edit mode, so it appears that the page hasn't been edit. If while in edit mode, I hit refresh, the new changes do show up. Should caching effect pages within edit mode? It seems strange that it would.

No, right now I'm only caching object pages and user pages. When editing, nothing is cached. It's only when displaying either an object page or a user page to a someone who isn't logged into the site that a cached page is served.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Scott wrote:Yesterday I updated my profile page. One of the updates was the "countries visited map". Today my profile has reverted back to the old map and yesterdays' pre-change profile. I know the changes went through yesterday because I screen shot it in order to post it on a different forum for discussion reasons. I don't think caching would cause this?

That could be caching if you weren't logged in when you viewed your profile. Profile pages are being cached as well.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:34 pm

That could be caching if you weren't logged in when you viewed your profile. Profile pages are being cached as well.

I have been logged in the entire time. There is definitely something going on here. It is happening with all pages (see the post I just made), not just the profile.

Let me see if I can screenshot this and show you.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Page edit mode:

Q1.JPG
Q1.JPG (34.2 KiB) Viewed 1833 times

Submit was hit and changed saved.

Now, if I go back into edit mode after the change was made, the changes aren't there:

q2.JPG
q2.JPG (28.34 KiB) Viewed 1833 times

If I however hit refresh page while still in edit mode, the changes appear again:

q3.JPG
q3.JPG (25.07 KiB) Viewed 1833 times

This happens with viewing pages or profiles outside of edit mode as well. Even if the cache is cleared, the old versions of pages always appear until you hit refresh, even after exiting the computer and logging back in again. The same thing happens if you stay logged in.

I assume the above is some of the confusion people are having while editing and creating pages, but doing extra refreshes in edit mode does seem to fix this one part. If you don't know about it though, it appears that the changes are disappearing.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Scott wrote:Even if the cache is cleared, the old versions of pages always appear until you hit refresh, even after exiting the computer and logging back in again. The same thing happens if you stay logged in.

Weird, yes, I've now confirmed the problem. When editing a page, somehow the browser itself (not the SP server) is caching the text of the page within the editor so that after making edits, the old (original) page fills the editor instead of the edited page (when coming back to the editor after making edits). The same is true for viewing the page. The browser is caching it and not showing the edits. But when you hit F5 and force a refresh, it will show any edits.

We should be able to get that fixed. I believe it is just a matter of telling the browser to NOT cache textarea text but I've tried a couple of possible solutions without success. I'll keep working on it and get it fixed.

FYI - a couple of big bugs on mobile were fixed yesterday:
1) Dynamic content on user pages works now on mobile.
2) Menus on the forum work now on mobile.

Alberto Rampini

by Alberto Rampini » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:45 pm

Montana Matt wrote: Caching has been turned on. The first time a page is served, a copy of it is saved to the disk. The second time that page is served, the copy is served from the disk. So you're seeing the caching page. However, if you're logged into the site, you will always see the page being served live. No cached pages are served to logged in users.

Are you viewing the page in a browser in which you are logged into the site?

Yes, i am viewing the page in the browser in which i am logged into the site. The page i am seeing is the caching page, not the live page and i am logged in! To see the live page after the changes, i must delite all the cronology saved on my PC, re-do the log-in and return on the page modified. Only after all these actions i can see the page served "live".

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:00 pm

AlbertoRampini wrote:The page i am seeing is the caching page

No pages are served cached to logged in users. See the above reply to Scott's post. There's some sort of setting on the server telling the browsers to cache content on pages. Hitting "Ctrl + F5" will force a refresh. Meanwhile, we're working on figuring out why browsers are now caching and turning it off.

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
Alberto Rampini

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:32 am

One more bug:

I can't stay signed in from Internet Explorer. I can from Chrome.

I don't use Internet Explorer that much, but started to again since pages seem to load much faster under Internet Explorer while in Edit Mode.

Lodewijk

by Lodewijk » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:35 am

I made a start updating my pages where the new formatting changed the look of my pages.
The images are placed differently in the new version so I tried to delete them and redo the formatting. But when I delete photos + captions etc and "save changes" something funny happens.
When I go back to the page the images re-appear again and my changes seem to be gone.

example: https://www.summitpost.org/val-verzasca/441480

I don't know if anyone already noticed this? And Matt can you help out, thanks...

Alberto Rampini

by Alberto Rampini » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:54 am

Lodewijk wrote:But when I delete photos + captions etc and "save changes" something funny happens.
When I go back to the page the images re-appear again and my changes seem to be gone.

example: https://www.summitpost.org/val-verzasca/441480

I don't know if anyone already noticed this? And Matt can you help out, thanks...

Yes, i also have started to fix my pages badly formatted. At the beginning everything was ok, but since a week ago I started to detect the same problem and I started to go crazy not understanding what was happening: when I came back to the page after the change, it was reappearing as if I had not done any change.
If you scroll above, you will find my post regarding this problem and the answer. Now, Matt showed me a solution to the problem: while waiting for a system solution, you can press the ctrl and f5 keys after the submit and the page will appear with the changes.

The following user would like to thank Alberto Rampini for this post
Lodewijk

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Lodewijk wrote:I don't know if anyone already noticed this? And Matt can you help out, thanks...

AlbertoRampini wrote:Matt showed me a solution to the problem: while waiting for a system solution, you can press the ctrl and f5 keys after the submit and the page will appear with the changes.

I still don't know why this is happening, but I hope to get it fixed soon. It's not doing it only when editing, but I've noticed I have to manually refresh the "What's New" page or any page I come to visit on SummitPost.

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
Alberto Rampini

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:24 pm

I found another bug. This one seems to have started today rather since I know it was working earlier.

Search for Primary Image function in pages pulls up all my photos rather than the one(s) that are applicable to the word search. This seems the case no matter which words are used to search.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Scott wrote:This one seems to have started today rather since I know it was working earlier.

Search for Primary Image function in pages pulls up all my photos rather than the one(s) that are applicable to the word search. This seems the case no matter which words are used to search.

Weird. I've not changed that functionality since making the new site live. And I just tested it myself and it seemed to work fine when I put in keywords to search on.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
Scott wrote:This one seems to have started today rather since I know it was working earlier.

Weird. I've not changed that functionality since making the new site live. And I just tested it myself and it seemed to work fine when I put in keywords to search on.

It's working now. Weird indeed. Before I tried it several times and it didn't work. :?: (I am currently building two mountain pages).

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback