Rhyang

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:16 pm

Thanks again all for the good wishes :) The last few days I've been getting used to walking with the aid of forearm crutches (they are a little more maneuverable and less finicky outdoors than the walker). Only 6 weeks in the halo to go, with any luck. Countdown of just 1 week until I go home ...

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:12 pm

Sounds like you are doing great, Rob! I have plenty of friends who would be jealous about your progress, except they are not really the jealous type, so they would just be happy for you. :D

no avatar
Gene

by Gene » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:20 pm

Rob,

I am very happy about your progress, but not in the least surprised given your determination. Keep getting stronger. You've inspired a bunch of us.

We are headed to the Bay Area this weekend and will swing by if we go to the South Bay. I hope so. We'd love to see you and get our Chinese food fix in Milpitas.

The best to you,

The Malones

mountainvoodoo

by mountainvoodoo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:50 am

Rob,

I just logged on today after a long hiatus from SP and saw this thread. I too hope the best for you and your recovery. If and when you are ready for some recouperation her in Tahoe let me know.

Good Luck

Jim

rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:18 pm

Hey Jim - I hope to be able to take you up on that offer :) Thanks again for the card John ! Thanks for the good wishes Eileen :)

Gene, any time after 3 or 4pm on Saturday or in the afternoon on Sunday ought to be fine. If I'm not in my room I may be in the courtyard outside. fyi Saturday around 10 to noonish recreation therapy is treating us to an IMAX flick at the Tech museum.

I feel good this morning. The numbness in my left arm/ fingers is starting to fade, and I've definitely gotten stronger. This morning the doctor did an assessment, and attributed it to a decrease in swelling around the spinal cord injury site(s), compensatory muscle fiber growth, and some other medical jargon I didn't understand :lol:

Lolli, I'll be going back to the hopital for physical therapy on an outpatient basis a few times a week, and there is a community center near my home with a wheelchair-adaptive fitness program. I'll be getting around using a service provided by the local transit authority.

depclimb

rhyang

by depclimb » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:59 pm

Rob,

Keep it going man, you're doing so great!!

Jeff

lisae

by lisae » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:04 pm

rhyang wrote:
I feel good this morning. The numbness in my left arm/ fingers is starting to fade, and I've definitely gotten stronger. This morning the doctor did an assessment, and attributed it to a decrease in swelling around the spinal cord injury site(s), compensatory muscle fiber growth, and some other medical jargon I didn't understand :lol:

Great!!

kamil

by kamil » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:37 pm

rhyang wrote:compensatory muscle fiber growth

Whatever it means I bet it's good for climbing :lol:
Never met you but keep my fingers crossed for ya!
All the best mate,
Kamil

Fury

by Fury » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:40 pm

Sounds like you're making good progress Rob.

I'm sure you're looking forward to moving back home and sleeping in your own bed. All the best with your continued recovery. I admire you courage and positive attitutde.

Colin

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:49 pm

depclimb

rhyang

by depclimb » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:23 am

Well, I had a Rob Yang experience last night. On my way home from the Yosemite facelift, I was half way down the new priest grade when in my headlights I see mommy deer in the opposite lane and bambi ready to cross in front of me. Instantly decided that my choice was venison instead of a crown and sped up between them. Heard a small bump on my right rear quarter panel. No dents or blood, so I hope bambi is ok, I know I am.

Rob,

Are you making your escape this week?
Last edited by depclimb on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vladislav

by Vladislav » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:05 am

rhyang wrote:I feel good this morning. The numbness in my left arm/ fingers is starting to fade, and I've definitely gotten stronger. This morning the doctor did an assessment, and attributed it to a decrease in swelling around the spinal cord injury site(s), compensatory muscle fiber growth, and some other medical jargon I didn't understand :lol:

Rob, this is great! Your progress has been remarkable. Keep it up!
Vlad.

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:44 pm

Thanks again everyone :D I'm going home this Thursday afternoon. Feel free to email me for my mailing address if you want to send me something - the hospital mailroom here is notorious for losing stuff :evil:

Keith - I broke C1, C5, C6, and C7. I've had two operations to fuse C5, 6 and 7 (if I understood the neurosurgeon correctly, and that is a big if :oops: ) My spinal cord injury rating (C4) is such that technically I am a quadriplegic, though obviously an incomplete one (asia D, hopefully E at some point soon). I hope to be at least hiking again sometime within the next year ...

stevepack

by stevepack » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:50 pm

rhyang wrote:Thanks again everyone :D I'm going home this Thursday afternoon. Feel free to email me for my mailing address if you want to send me something - the hospital mailroom here is notorious for losing stuff :evil:

Keith - I broke C1, C5, C6, and C7. I've had two operations to fuse C5, 6 and 7 (if I understood the neurosurgeon correctly, and that is a big if :oops: ) My spinal cord injury rating (C4) is such that technically I am a quadriplegic, though obviously an incomplete one (asia D, hopefully E at some point soon). I hope to be at least hiking again sometime within the next year ...

Glad to hear you are heading home...hang in there. You are one lucky dude. I've seen too many bad outcomes from these types of injuries. It's nice to see a better outcome. Hang in there!!! :D :D :D

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:06 pm

Rob, you're doing awesome!!!

My buddy, Brad (first quad to climb the Chief in Squamish) is hoping to be the first quad to climb El Cap. You have WAY more mobility than he does, and you are still healing. To our knowledge, he is the only quad actively pursuing climbing. There is a world of opportunity out there to break some exciting ground. Sounds like you will be extremely mobile so the sky is the limit for you.

PreviousNext

Return to California