Rhyang

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Diggler

by Diggler » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:23 pm

Keep it up, Rob- the only way is up! Glad you're going home soon.

Gareth

by Gareth » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:39 pm

Rob, I assume that your legs are okay (minus some muscle atrophy, I assume)? That's huge for mountain suckers. While my mom wouldn't do it anyway, she in all likelihood will never do any strenuous/adventurous hiking again. (By some miracle she survived being ejected from a vehicle at around 65 mph with no serious injury to her cervical vertebra, her legs and chest were a different story)

Keep those osteoblasts working overtime in your neck!

Dragger

by Dragger » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:18 am

Can't wait for you to go home and get out of that darned hospital Rob! Miss ya... hope to be able to get down there and see you again soon. I'm in Chicago right now... up to my ears in work but once I get back home I'll give you a call. Take care and hope you enjoy your "new pad". :twisted:

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:00 pm

Gareth wrote:Rob, I assume that your legs are okay (minus some muscle atrophy, I assume)? That's huge for mountain suckers. While my mom wouldn't do it anyway, she in all likelihood will never do any strenuous/adventurous hiking again. (By some miracle she survived being ejected from a vehicle at around 65 mph with no serious injury to her cervical vertebra, her legs and chest were a different story)

Keep those osteoblasts working overtime in your neck!

Yikes, sorry to hear about your mom :(

My right leg is fine, but my left one is weak, though it's gotten a lot stronger over the last month. My first goal (after the halo comes off) is to be able to balance on my left foot for 30 seconds (so far I can only do about 8 sec) - then I will feel better about walking without a cane or crutch. In the meantime I'm doing lots of exercises to strengthen my calf and other ankle muscles.

re: osteoblasts - yep, I am drinking my milk and calcium-enriched odwalla every day :mrgreen:

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:02 pm

HandjamMasterC wrote:That's right Rob - back home - woo hoo! If you need something just ask me and I might be able to direct you to the crate its in........... 8)

Thanks again Craig (and Carolyn, Kris, Jeannine and Suan) for getting my place into shape :D Finding stuff will be half the fun :lol:

Yes, my hospital room is starting to look empty already ... Only have a few things to put in bags yet ... hoping to blow this scene around 3pm pdt. Much teary-eyed farewells to the staff and nursing and therapists left to do :)

depclimb

rhyang

by depclimb » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:33 pm

Make the escape Rob, before they lock the doors.

rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:40 pm

I'm home now :D Had to get groceries last night, prescriptions filled, some friends came over, etc. Didn't get to sleep until late.

Now the fun begins :lol:

SophiaClimbs

by SophiaClimbs » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:49 pm

rhyang wrote:Had to get groceries last night, prescriptions filled...

Grocery shopping - Wow! I was in France for two weeks and it appears that my husband who had ankle surgery over a month ago didn't even manage to go grocery shopping (or take a shower, for that matter) while I was away. :lol: So nice job!

rhyang

by rhyang » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:21 am

Lolli wrote:You went shopping yourself, in wheelchair with halo and everything?
coooool
:lol:

:lol: Well no ... Susan helped me out with that. She picked me up from the hospital, and then we dropped off all the junk at home. Then we went to the supermarket, and she handled the bags.

It was a pretty humbling experience, compared to the last time I was on crutches (about 6 months ago now that I think about it :oops: ) - I was able to drive myself and crutch around the store with stuff in my bike courier bag.

Went for a walk this afternoon with the forearm crutches. Crisp fall weather, beautiful day :D Didn't have to ask permission from the nursing staff :lol:

*** Thanks again Kris for setting up those grab bars in my bathroom - fantastic work :D

Rob

by Rob » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:27 am

Good for you Rob! Your'e a hardcore mofo.

T Sharp

by T Sharp » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:31 am

:D I`ll bet it feels good to be home Rob! I am rooting for your continued quick recovery!
Congrats! :D

no avatar
Zzyzx

by Zzyzx » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:42 am

You're welcome Rob! It was good to see you running around, a bit scary though ;) Don't overdo it!
Looks like Dirk and I will be going to the valley - 120 is closed due to snow, so that's it for Matthes Crest or N. Peak...

klwagar

by klwagar » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:03 am

Congratulations on being home. I bet it feels terrific. Glad to hear that your mobility is returning. Sounds like you are doing really really well.
Adrienne (my daughter) is now starting with the crutches and we're hoping she'll be home next week - she has swallowing issues from the accident or surgery or both. Hoping the tube will be out. Then I can go out climbing instead of haunting hospital floors. :D

rhyang

by rhyang » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:03 pm

I'm thinking positive thoughts for your daughter klwagar :!:

magellan

by magellan » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:23 pm

Rob I just got wind of this. Sorry it had to happen to such a great guy. Heal quickly pal.

PreviousNext

Return to California