Rhyang

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Cy Kaicener

Rhyang

by Cy Kaicener » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:25 pm

I am sorry to hear about the car accident Rob. I just heard about it yesterday.

depclimb

rhyang

by depclimb » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:50 pm

Hi Rob,

Great that you're tooling around SJ. Did you read about my bambi encounter last week on the way home from Yos?

Jeff

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:34 am

Jeff, I did read about your deer encounter :( My first or second day (or whenever it was I came to :| ) in the ICU at Memorial in Modesto one of the nurses asked me what happened .. her advice was to basically always aim to hit the deer vs. trying to avoid it.

Oddly enough she also recommended deer whistles - she said they don't work well at low speeds, but then it's not as big a deal at low speeds.

For the time being I think I'll just ride with other folks :lol:

I think the second or third day one of the trauma people saw your thread on supertaco and asked if it was about me... he said he'd never seen a deer on that road before (the four-lane section of 108 between Oakdale and the 120 turnoff) ... neither had I :evil:

ksolem

by ksolem » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:49 am

Rob, keep up the good work.

I barely know you - we met at a couple of campfires in Joshua Tree - but you're spirit and attitude are an inspiration.

I look forward to our next encounter.

klwagar

by klwagar » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:33 am

Thanks Rob for your thoughts too. I hope you're doing better and better. You are truly lucky to have so many caring about you.

depclimb

rhyang

by depclimb » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:20 pm

Hi Rob,

Just for clarity, the deer were on the switchbacks of new priest grade, not 108. You got enough Odwalla?

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 pm

Thanks Kris (and everyone else !) Yes, I am definitely lucky :D Let me count the ways :

- EMT on the scene shortly after crash (she probably saved my life)
- good friends lining up the positive vibes
- dominant hand / arm unscathed
- bowel / bladder function unscathed
- good friends visiting me / fixing up my place
- able to walk with one crutch
- able to do many essential things for myself
- good friends helping me out / visiting me
- no (additional :lol:) brain injuries
- good friends ... do I detect a pattern here ? :D

In the rehab center I realized just how lucky I was and how badly things could have been.

No worries Jeff, I understood which road you mean ...

btw after re-reading the entire thread I'm humbled by how much good will has been pointed in my direction. Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone :!:

Blaine, if you're reading this, thanks for visiting me in the ICU - I'm afraid I wasn't very coherent at the time. DMT, someday I want to shake your hand, and wish I had been better able to appreciate your visit. Vlad, your words to me meant a lot, and you are right - this is the toughest climb of my life. Chris - sorry I didn't call earlier. Tina - the llama brigade has returned :twisted: :lol:

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:14 pm

rhyang wrote: Vlad, your words to me meant a lot, and you are right - this is the toughest climb of my life

Rob,

You don't know me, but I've been sending you some positive vibes during this too and I'm glad how well it is all turning out and that you're on the mend.

You're words above reminded me of a way I started thinking not too long ago. I rarely use the terms "love to suffer" and "sufferfest" anymore when it comes to climbing/mountains. I realize now those times when I have been on the side of the mountain, muscles burning, lungs burning, dizzy, nauseous, etc., are the closest I've come to absolute bliss and heaven here on Earth. The biggest senses of achievement and the most fun I've had have been at times like that. I don't see any real suffering there. The real suffering comes with the injuries, the downtime and the being away from it all - but, as with most things, those times do pass, and your tough "climb" will be over soon and you'll be back in the mountains again!

no avatar
Gene

by Gene » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:43 pm

rhyang wrote:- able to walk with one crutch

Rob,

Even more progress! We are all thrilled about your recovery.

Godspeed.

Gene

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:28 am

hey John ! I'm home.

Had an interesting day ... took the bus to outpatient physical therapy at valley medical. They were pretty surprised that I walked 1.6 miles on my forearm crutches yesterday ! "A mile a day keeps the boredom away" :lol: I visited with some of my therapists and saw my old roommate - he's going home in a week.

I'm discovering how good the public transit is near where I live - there's a bus line that goes directly from in front of my home to the hospital, and also to a nearby community center with an adaptive fitness program that I checked out today (still waiting on a form from the dr. to actually start).

Walked to a nearby Jamba Juice, then about 1.5 miles to the grocery store (just for exercise - I could have taken the bus) and then took the bus home.

Interestingly enough, the VTA is now hooked in with Google ... you can ask Google Maps for driving directions somewhere in Silicon Valley, and then click on 'take public transit' to see which buses / trains will get you there. Pretty cool.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:22 pm

Amazing guy! Keep it up!!!

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:32 pm

Lolli wrote:don't you think it was slightly to overdo it, in order to discover public transportation and become more environmental? There are other, more simple ways, not necessary to risk your life...

:lol: You know I was thinking that too ... but I'm also lucky in that where I live there are many trails that I can ride to from my front door. Before my accident I could just walk to my doctor (say for a cold or ear infection) and dentist. I also work mostly from home these days.

I have been wondering, about how the hospital people reacted? Did they? It can't be so common, having a (partly) net-based community showing up - I'd believe most people would be visited by relatives and a few friends?

Well, most of the people who visited me I had climbed with before. I explained it to my psychologist (everyone there gets assigned one) this way : when you tie in with someone, you are essentially trusting your life to that person. If they fail, then you are probably going to die. Most people who stick with this sport are exceptional, amazing, and worthy of great trust. I think at that point I started crying and muttering something about how I didn't deserve friends like this :oops: Just one of many times I cried in the hospital ...

Monday afternoons we went to a support group meeting, where both new patients and people who had many years experience living with spinal cord injury attended. I explained some of the things my friends had done for me, and people were pretty amazed. I'm really not close to my family anymore, and for a number of reasons I've had to seek out my own 'family'.

Yes, I think most people got visits from their families and some friends. I think in general my case was pretty unusual in many ways. I broke my C1 and several other cervical vertebrae and yet I'm not confined to a wheelchair, I don't need a ventilator, my hands and legs mostly work, etc. I feel amazed and glad and thankful that I'm still alive and look forward to whatever the future brings.

uwjennie

by uwjennie » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:40 pm

Right on Rob. I'm thinking about you a lot and sending you lots of good vibes from the OC.

:)
Jennie

depclimb

rhyang

by depclimb » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Rob,

You're turning into a great inspiration for the rest of us. You're working through a tough situation and moving forward everyday. Just fantastic!

no avatar
Gene

by Gene » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:00 pm

Rob,

I got chills reading your last post. Being the arrogant bastard that I am, I'll speak for the whole community and say that we are damn proud to have you as our friend.

GM

PreviousNext

Return to California