Rhyang

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:22 pm

After 3 weeks out of the hospital I'm actually no longer on medication, other than the occasional tylenol :)

A good thing, because those powerful pain meds (oxycodone, percocet, oxycontin, etc) are basically narcotics. Using them regularly meant that I had to take various other meds to loosen up my bowels, since one side effect of regular depressant use is constipation :o I'm glad they weaned me off that stuff before discharge.

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:06 pm

Rob, I am so glad to read about your progress.

no avatar
Zzyzx

by Zzyzx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:27 pm

rhyang wrote:A good thing, because those powerful pain meds (oxycodone, percocet, oxycontin, etc) are basically narcotics. Using them regularly meant that I had to take various other meds to loosen up my bowels, since one side effect of regular depressant use is constipation :o I'm glad they weaned me off that stuff before discharge.

Sounds like something that might be useful on a big wall climb. Got any left? :wink:

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:13 am

Kris wrote:
rhyang wrote:A good thing, because those powerful pain meds (oxycodone, percocet, oxycontin, etc) are basically narcotics. Using them regularly meant that I had to take various other meds to loosen up my bowels, since one side effect of regular depressant use is constipation :o I'm glad they weaned me off that stuff before discharge.

Sounds like something that might be useful on a big wall climb. Got any left? :wink:

Kris, as a matter of fact I do have some extra stool softener and fiber pills. Oh, is that not what you meant ? ;)

Thanks Dave :)

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:38 am

Rob...

Looked at the B/H Wall the night before last... absolutely no flow of water. Central Wall has some drips of water that may form.

That said, take your time to get strong. I am willing to bet that by the time you are ready to climb ice, the B/H and Central Wall will be formed! :wink:

Take your time and get strong.... :D

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:59 am

The Chief wrote:Rob...

Looked at the B/H Wall the night before last... absolutely no flow of water. Central Wall has some drips of water that may form.

That said, take your time to get strong. I am willing to bet that by the time you are ready to climb ice, the B/H and Central Wall will be formed! :wink:

Thanks Rick, I appreciate your support. Nice work on North Peak btw :D

Ya know, it's funny how last year the BH was fat, fat, fat and the Main Wall was almost nonexistent. We climbed a bunch of lines on the BH, and we even did Hobnail Boots with the chimney full of ice :D I wonder how it will form up this year though ...

After the halo comes off (almost December at this rate), I'll probably have to wait about 2-3 months to let the bones knit further, during which I probably don't want to face the prospect of getting hit on the head by things like falling ice. That's assuming my weak left leg and arm could even get me up to the base of the climbs .. I'm still walking in a leg brace (though I did go almost 4 miles yesterday :) nice flat sidewalk and paved trail)

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:15 am

rhyang wrote:

Ya know, it's funny how last year the BH was fat, fat, fat and the Main Wall was almost nonexistent. We climbed a bunch of lines on the BH, and we even did Hobnail Boots with the chimney full of ice :D I wonder how it will form up this year though ...

The Central(Main)Wall has some really nice vertical stuff on it when "IN" and am hoping that it forms nicely this year.

Was gonna go back today to NP and do the Central #2 Couloir as it had a really nice 2-3' wide runnel of Blue Bullet visibly going up 4-450' on the right side. Weather has postponed plans till later this week. Looks really very juicy!

Keep up the positive work Rob.... you are and have been in my daily prayers and I was thinking of ya the other day when Deb and I were on #1. :wink:

lisae

by lisae » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:31 am

rhyang wrote:
The Chief wrote:Rob...

After the halo comes off (almost December at this rate), I'll probably have to wait about 2-3 months to let the bones knit further, during which I probably don't want to face the prospect of getting hit on the head by things like falling ice. That's assuming my weak left leg and arm could even get me up to the base of the climbs .. I'm still walking in a leg brace (though I did go almost 4 miles yesterday :) nice flat sidewalk and paved trail)

Four miles!! I'm impressed...

Dragger

by Dragger » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:05 pm

rhyang wrote:
Kris, as a matter of fact I do have some extra stool softener and fiber pills. Oh, is that not what you meant ? ;)

LOL!!!!

nefarius

by nefarius » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:45 pm

hahaha You're photos skills are amazing, Craig! Where do you come up with this crap (pun intended).

:lol:

no avatar
Zzyzx

by Zzyzx » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:20 am

nefarius wrote:hahaha You're photos skills are amazing, Craig! Where do you come up with this crap (pun intended).

:lol:

Not only his photo skills, but also his thread hijacking skills :wink:
But I have to say, it feels good to climb with friends who really understand your needs.

Hey Rob, last time I heard you were going to keep your hikes under 2 miles, and next thing I know you do 4 miles. Way to go Dude!

no avatar
Gene

by Gene » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:13 am

Bump for the Bro.

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:19 pm

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement :)

I started working on a blog to keep folks informed. Gene, I'll PM you the URL. I'd post it, but am not sure yet if I want search engines to be indexing the contents, which I have to admit are a bit personal. If anyone else wants to read it, feel free to let me know (it is probably good for inducing sleep :lol:)

I'm still doing my PT faithfully, and have started to incorporate ankle weights and a theraband, to increase resistance on my leg exercises. I stopped using the left leg brace last week, but am back to using the cane (instead of just carrying it) until the muscles in that leg strengthen and my balance improves.

Had another call from the neurosurgeon's office - with luck we will be in Modesto on the 21st (less than two weeks from now) to see about getting the halo removed. If so I will also ask him when I can start back at the climbing gym :)

depclimb

rhyang

by depclimb » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:22 pm

Keep up the great work Rob, I'm falling behind you in the fitness category.

Kris,

Get off this thread and e-mail my friend!!!!

lisae

by lisae » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:57 pm

rhyang wrote:Had another call from the neurosurgeon's office - with luck we will be in Modesto on the 21st (less than two weeks from now) to see about getting the halo removed. If so I will also ask him when I can start back at the climbing gym :)

I suspect that climbing in the gym would be a really great form of physical therapy...

PreviousNext

Return to California