flying with Hudson Air

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
MichaelJ

flying with Hudson Air

by MichaelJ » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:25 pm

Anyone have any experience with this outfit?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:57 pm

I have flown with them once. They are fine, but I prefer Talkeetna Air Taxi because they have a couple of bunk houses one can stay out before and after your trip plus a locked storage shed to store your extra stuff while you are on the mountain.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:22 pm

I remembered something else; we flew into the Ruth Gorge and wanted to get dropped off on the West Fork below Pk 11,300, and Hudson refused. They would only fly into and out of the Don Sheldon Mountain House. I know TAT would have dropped us off pretty much anywhere we wanted. We flew Hudson because my buddy thought it would be cheaper (it wasn't).

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon May 24, 2010 2:48 am

Well, there you, an opposing viewpoint.

Haliku

by Haliku » Mon May 24, 2010 2:48 am

Another thing to think about is TAT can fly by instruments while the other operations only fly by sight. This proved handy in us getting off the mountain days before others last year. I'd much rather recover for two days in Talk than sit on the runway at basecamp wondering when I might get out. When I go back I'll only use TAT. Cheers!

no avatar
bdynkin

by bdynkin » Mon May 24, 2010 7:58 pm

TAT was able to land us on Root Canal (a shelf on the side of Mooses Tooth in Root Gorge) some years ago. No other flying service had that amazing expertise at that time. Don't know about now, maybe Hudson Air can do it these days as well. Thise free bunk beds at TAT were very handy and when we had to wait for the weather.

Haliku

by Haliku » Tue May 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Dang good to know! More quality competition is better for all of us when we are looking for transport to our favorite glacier playground. Cheers!

peladoboton wrote:thought i'd save this gossip for later, but 'cause i like you guys (you have been to my favorite place on earth)...what the heck.

Hudson just got bought out by none other than the Sheldon family, and their two pilots, Jaques and Dave, both have landed quite a bit on the old Root Canal, and will continue to do so under the new management.

i think some new planes will be coming into the picture as well. i got the chance to meet the new ownership and hear some of their plans, and they are really pushing to keep with the 'no job too small, keep the prices low' theme that Jay and Cliff established over the decades, but they are going to push to have the newer equipment and be more aggressive about the places they will land (like the Tok and the Root Canal).

they kicked ass when i flew with Jay in 2001, and it seems like they are taking the ass-kicking to a new level now.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:49 am

peladoboton wrote:i got the chance to meet the new ownership and hear some of their plans, and they are really pushing to keep with the 'no job too small, keep the prices low' theme that Jay and Cliff established over the decades, but they are going to push to have the newer equipment and be more aggressive about the places they will land (like the Tok and the Root Canal).

I heard Jay and Cliff both passed away last winter. I was walking around Talkeetna with my old Hudson Air Service T-shirt on and had a lot of comments about it being a collectors item now.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:44 am

Flew out today after 3 days at bc. TAT was they only one flying in not great weather ( I am a pilot) severe IFR and TAT got us out. I'll never fly anyone else! Fwiw, Scott

Return to Canada and Alaska