Anyone up for Culebra towards the end of July?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Foxy Long Bottoms

by Foxy Long Bottoms » Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 pm

goatboy smellz wrote:FWIW hikers and skiers have been poaching Culebra for decades. However I think it’s nice you want to help those Texans pay their property taxes.
Good luck!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! NO LIE!! HAHAHA!

no avatar
Husker

by Husker » Thu May 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Foxy Long Bottoms wrote:
RyanS wrote:
Foxy Long Bottoms wrote:Because they're greedy?

Yep, exactly.

They don't require 10-person groups on the weekends. If they're going to make special mid-week accommodations, they want it to be worth their while. I'd hardly call this greedy. Sounds reasonable to me, since granting entrance to the property requires the services and attention of at least one of their employees.

I still think its greedy. Good thing there are ways around that bull shit.

those ways would shut the place down for those with some sort of moral fiber.

iceisnice

by iceisnice » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:07 pm

I don't see why people get so pissy about this peak. Its a hump. The people who own it bought it from others that have owned it for decades. No biggie. They did everything legally and they have the right to do with their land as they please. People are so damn protective about their private property, but then bitch about how these ranchers treat their land. Whatever. The funny thing is, cuz these ranchers have limited access to the peak so much, it is probably seeing a lot less environmental impact than others. And I don't wanna hear about "the damn Texans!" bs. Very few of us are truly Coloradoans. We have all moved here and "poached land".........its no big deal. That's how the freakin world works. Ok.....rant over....... :)

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:18 pm

No. Carlos doesn't do any kind of head count on the way out. He'd have to be at the gate all day if this was the case since everyone hikes at a different pace. There's a sheet & key by the gate where you just initial on your way out & lock up.

Being that far in and up in altitude, I'm fairly confident no one has their eye on a telescope watching us walk up this thing...hence no one is gonna care if I go do Vermeijo, Purgatoire, Alamasito or 13,565, 13,229 or Miranda et al.
I didn't pay for Red but then again, I'm sure many don't. People just look for things now-a-days to get pissed off at.

So you have to pay to get Culebra. Big deal. People don't seem to have a problem forking over $20 for entrance fee's to our National Parks, upwards of $8-12 for a martini or a few thousand dollars for 'forced' guides up Kili etc.
It's all relative.

Still gonna try & be there, Husker.

Teresa Gergen wrote:
Kiefer Thomas wrote:I'm definately interested. I'd prolly do Culebra and leave for some of the area 13ers to the north.

My understanding is that currently, Cielo Vista only allows access to Culebra and Red, not any other peaks. Is that correct? Is it different on weekdays? They do a head count on the way out?

Previous

Return to Colorado