STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Alpinist

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by Alpinist » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Only 3 more to go Doug!

Congrats on your engagement Eric!

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:57 pm

hi everyone. haven't hit a highpoint in almost a year. leave tomorrow night for my next adventure. i plan on getting Signal Mountain in Arkansas sometime Sun. heading out west to slackline in AZ for a week. hope to get humphrey's peak on the the 18 then eaither go to Mt. Elbert or Guadalaupe peak. depends on time. i have to be back for work on the 25th.

i miss you all

kteichert

by kteichert » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Like your daughter, I became interested in state highpointing at a young age. I was 12 years old, looking through the atlas at home, and noticed on the map, the highest point was marked on one of the states I was looking at. So I thumbed through each page, and found that this atlas had marked the highest point in each state. I went through, and circled every state highpoint, and I guess, in a search for purpose in my life, made it a goal to reach the highest point in every state. I never really had the know how to accomplish this goal, the time, or the money, as I was trying to make it through school. But I got a job, at the age of 28, as a flight attendant, and my goal really began to take shape. I now had the capability to travel at will, and since October of 2009, I have completed 25 of the state highpoints. I'm halfway there. I plan to be done with all but Denali, and Rainier by the end of this year. I have taken a lot of pictures, and written my experiences down in my journal, and hope to make a book of it someday. It's been quite the adventure, and I've been able to see a lot of this beautiful country in which we are blessed to live, and I look forward to the next 25. Thank you for bringing this subject up to our attention. It seems that you have hit a vein with many folk on here. Happy trails!
Kyle Teichert

sm0421

by sm0421 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Doing AR, LA and MO the weekend of Aug,5th. Flying into Little Rock, AR, a lot of driving for 2 days. Anyone interested please email me at sunmeng0421@hotmail.com

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:37 am

My family visited Mt. Sunflower, Kansas and Panorama Point, Nebraska during our family vacation earlier this week. I also climbed Borah Peak, Idaho while the family attended a reunion. I'm up to five high points now! I should be able to get at least two more next summer. Slow but sure!
R.I.P. 2LT Michael E. McGahan 1985-2010
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:12 pm

got AR and CO on my latest trip

up to 21. 2 after a year that i got 19. hope to get VA's this fall. southeast trip this winter

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Congrats Doogie! 21 states in 2 years is not bad.

The following user would like to thank Alpinist for this post
xDoogiex

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:58 pm

xDoogiex wrote:got AR and CO on my latest trip

up to 21. 2 after a year that i got 19. hope to get VA's this fall. southeast trip this winter

Dang man, your on the move! I wish I could get some more in. All the ones I need though are to far away to get in a weekend... sigh....

Congrats on your first 14er in CO!
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

The following user would like to thank Hotoven for this post
xDoogiex

Jow

by Jow » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm taking a crack at the southern 6 pack next month and am ironing out all the details currently which is causing me highpoint fever. If completed I'll be at 19, then I may try and get Katadhin in early fall since 20 is a nice round number that I'll feel comfortable hibernating through winter with.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:10 pm

Jow wrote:I'm taking a crack at the southern 6 pack next month and am ironing out all the details currently which is causing me highpoint fever. If completed I'll be at 19, then I may try and get Katadhin in early fall since 20 is a nice round number that I'll feel comfortable hibernating through winter with.

You got it mixed up, the high points are more fun in the winter! MHO! :D
- The Dude, Lebowski

The following user would like to thank Hotoven for this post
Adam Doc Fox

Jow

by Jow » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:22 pm

I did Mt Washington this past February and lost both my big toenails which just fell off a month ago and still look awful making sandal season less fun this year. So I think it'll be beach vacations for me come winter.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Jow wrote:I did Mt Washington this past February and lost both my big toenails which just fell off a month ago and still look awful making sandal season less fun this year. So I think it'll be beach vacations for me come winter.

Yeah, I did the same thing on Quandary this Spring. I'm just about to lose both of my toenails too. And it's not the first time. The problem with winter mountaineering is that you have to take off your crampons & gaitors in order to tighten up your laces and that's a pain in the ass, especially if it's late in the evening or bad weather is moving in. I usually don't take the time and then my toes jam descending because my laces have loosened up during the ascent :(

Jow

by Jow » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:38 pm

quick question on the southern sixer. I am lining up rental car. do i need to go with an SUV to get to trailheads or can I skate by with a compact.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:12 pm

Jow wrote:quick question on the southern sixer. I am lining up rental car. do i need to go with an SUV to get to trailheads or can I skate by with a compact.

You do not need an SUV under normal conditions. There are some gravel roads but they are all graded. No need to worry about it unless there is a major rain storm (or snow in winter).

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Jow wrote:I'm taking a crack at the southern 6 pack next month and am ironing out all the details currently which is causing me highpoint fever.

Have fun down there! Since the Mountains are not that great, look for the cultural beauty, I camped next to some pipeline workers who were staying at the campground in their trailer instead of a hotel. They considered themselves coonasses, they were super cool and grilled us southern style meats of all kinds including gaiter tail. We stayed up real late drinking beer, and talking about their way of life and comparing it to ours (my family's). There was quite a difference, but there was a mutual understanding and respect towards our different views and ways of life. It was one of those experience I will never forget and a good memory. Hopefully you will be a lucky as I and experience the good old southern hospitality.
- The Dude, Lebowski

PreviousNext

Return to General