How many days to climb Aconcagua?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: How many days to climb Aconcagua?

by Scott » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 pm

In the Aconcagua area there are still other peaks in the area that can be done in a shorter amount of time.

For example, Marmolejo is over 6000 meters and would be more doable on a two week trip. Still, flying that far for a two week trip isn't as "efficient" as if you had more time.

Ecuador is nice, as mentioned, but also as mentioned some of the peaks don't have an expedition feel.

Antisana was my favorite climb in Ecuador and doesn't get climbed near as often as the mountains with the huts.

Some mountains in Ecuador definitely are at least a mini-expedition. El Altar is a good example.

Of course those peaks do require some technical ability.

chickentikka

by chickentikka » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:51 pm

My climbing partner on denali was able to climb Aconcagua in six days. He really struggled, but made it. He is a young and very strong guy though.

I climbed cerro Plato (6k meters) in five days and went directly to Aconcagua which I was able to then climb in 5 days with one day to exit. Therefore I did both in about 11 days and found it pretty easy.

I think 14 should be plenty if you are you and strong and on the younger side.

The thing is though that you may not get a good opportunity to summit with such a small time frame. I had shitty weather every day that I was on Aconcagua except for my summit day. There was nothing but shitty weather forecasted for the following week after it as well.

other

by other » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:09 pm

Any updates on this thread? My two cents, average athlete, not a whole lot of mountain climbing experience (15,000 feet once). Spent a week in Quito Ecuador and at 9,000 feet. Attempted Cotopaxi, spent less then a day at the base (15,000 feet?) felt terrible and retreated. If I had spent another 24 hrs at the base and had my gear and guide dialed in better I might have summited.

Poncherelo

by Poncherelo » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:10 pm

Hey Creston,
You should read this story of Oleksii and his mountain guide Gaston who climbing Mt Aconcagua in 9-10 days
https://www.explore-share.com/blog/23-climbing-aconcagua-%E2%80%98the-most-powerful-emotion-in-my-life%E2%80%99
Good luck !

Previous

Return to South America