Potentially fun trip ruined by multiple menstrual cycles

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Hotoven

Potentially fun trip ruined by multiple menstrual cycles

by Hotoven » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:15 pm

About four weeks ago, I had planned a short two day one night trip with my girlfriend to hit up 3 highpoints, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Road Island. She was thrilled on the idea and we eagerly looked forward to our short adventure. My sister got word of it, and since she hadn’t had any kind of vacation this summer, asked if she could go.

After all the planning, and gathering of equipment the day before, my girlfriend said this: “You know I should probably tell you that I’m having my period this weekend.” I was like, Ohh great, 10 hours of driving two days in a row and I’ll have a fussy woman to worry about. This really messed things up and so I had to change plans and get a campsite, where as we were just going to camp in a random woods before she told me.

The next day, we are driving up through New York, and she starts complaining about her cramps, and needs to pull over and get her meds out. My sister than says, “Is it your period? Because I’m having my period this weekend too!”

So now I, being the only male was subject to all kinds of torment the whole weekend, while I drove and drug around these two girls. I still had a good time to a degree, but I would have been a lot more relaxed and not so frustrated given that they were both constantly breathing down my neck.

Have any of you here on SP experienced the same thing as me? One thing I learned, make sure the dates you pick for your trips do not coincide with your female companies period!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:42 pm

I can understand your frustration, but I don't think it's too cool (or serves much purpose) to post this here even though you're not using your real name or theirs. The tone of the post is somewhat insulting.

But for what it's worth, it sounds more to do with the particular people than the idea itself. My wife and I have gone hiking and camping many times when it was her "time," and although she sometimes had discomfort, it hardly ruined things for me or for her.

gobriango

by gobriango » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:50 pm

"The tone of the post is somewhat insulting."

:P :P :P Sorry dad !!!!

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:53 pm

At first I thought that you had had multiple menstrual cycles! When I realized that you had not; I could only think quit your bitching. We men don't have to go through it, so we should be thankful rather than bitching about whatever fallout affects us.

rpc

Re: Potentially fun trip ruined by multiple menstrual cycles

by rpc » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Hotoven wrote:So now I, being the only male was subject to all kinds of torment the whole weekend, while I drove and drug around these two girls. I still had a good time to a degree, but I would have been a lot more relaxed and not so frustrated given that they were both constantly breathing down my neck.

sausage parties are sooo much more fun!!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 pm

I had no idea this would be insulting. I did ask my girlfriend if I could post something on it, and she laughed and encouraged it. She thought as well as my self some of you folks might get a kick out of it having experienced it yourself. I’m sorry if it came out as complaining, I just thought it was somewhat humorous while thinking back on it, and a good lesson learned.

If you don’t like it, ask for it to be moved to PnP, and thanks for those of you who understand and also shared your experiences.

Smoove910

by Smoove910 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:01 pm

My only complaint for the 'trail' women in the world. Please live by the 'you pack it in, you pack it out' scenario... Reason being I did an 18 mile loop hike with the family a couple weeks back for a daytrip. We took both our dogs with us as well. While resting at the 'turnaround' point I noticed my larger dog slurping on something. After further investigtion it was proven to be someone's used twot block and they had thrown it in the bushes. Of course my dog was all over it, what animal wouldn't?

To be honest I was pissed because I thought it was truly low and disgusting for someone to just throw it in the bushes by a lake rather than taking some time and at least burying it a little. C'mon now!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:41 pm

Hotoven wrote:I had no idea this would be insulting. I did ask my girlfriend if I could post something on it, and she laughed and encouraged it. She thought as well as my self some of you folks might get a kick out of it having experienced it yourself. I’m sorry if it came out as complaining, I just thought it was somewhat humorous while thinking back on it, and a good lesson learned.

In that case, my apologies and I take back what I said about posting this being uncool. If she knew about it and was fine with it, I can't say it was uncool to post it.

My solution for people who spoil the fun: I hike and climb faster and meet them at the destination!

welle

by welle » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:53 pm

tazz wrote:i can't f-ing believe i am reading this!

I can't stand gals the use that as an excuse for being a fing bitch or for being a wimp! Buck up and deal!

On the other hand if you guys had to deal with what we did you would not be "bitching" about it.

Ya know guys can be bitches too...i have hiked and climbed with several man bitches. what is your excuse men?

ditto. if your GF/wife knows that she's uncomfortable at that time of the month, she should know better to keep on taking her birth control pill on the big date to delay her period... If she doesn't, she's just using it as a weapon against you...

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:55 pm

When I was a young, women were discouraged to participated in sports during "that time of the month", but these days most women can typically take a double dose of aspirin and carry on with their normal activities all month long. Isn't climbing mountains all about suffering anyway?

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:02 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
Hotoven wrote:I had no idea this would be insulting. I did ask my girlfriend if I could post something on it, and she laughed and encouraged it. She thought as well as my self some of you folks might get a kick out of it having experienced it yourself. I’m sorry if it came out as complaining, I just thought it was somewhat humorous while thinking back on it, and a good lesson learned.

In that case, my apologies and I take back what I said about posting this being uncool. If she knew about it and was fine with it, I can't say it was uncool to post it.

My solution for people who spoil the fun: I hike and climb faster and meet them at the destination!

Understood, thanks :D

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:10 pm

Dougb wrote:What's the highpoint of Road Island?

its weak is what it is.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -hill.html

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:01 pm

Oh, man, if I could take Daniel Day-Lewis hiking with me, I wouldn't bitch about anything! Prrrrrrrrrrrr......

Being a guy around a woman having her period can be tough - being the woman can be tougher. Cramps, lethargy, emotionalism (for some), admitting to the challenge (for some) and then, finally, taking care of things on the trail (and not leaving goodies for poochie to slurp - that's just effin' GROSS!).

Frankly, though, I think there's a lot of media hype about it. As a result it can be an excuse for both man and woman. "You're a bitch!" "I'm having my period!" "You're still a bitch!" "I'm still having my period!" That sort of thing. It's different for everyone and I don't think should be categorized into period = impossible to deal with.

I'll agree with welle to a degree - some gals use the time as an excuse to get out of things. It's convenient, and what guy is going to argue with that? Hell, he'd probably get his head ripped off. :lol: But I don't agree to changing a natural cycle with drugs. Women's cycles aren't meant to be convenient. The jury's still out on the long-term side-effects of that.

I guess, like everything else, it is what it is. I'd have to say most mountaineering gals don't make a big deal about it and are prepared for just about anything (so the guys can be, too) - they've figured it out already and it's just part of the process.

I'm still shocked and chagrined for poochie. Eeeeewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!! That's just unacceptable.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:57 am

MarthaP wrote:I'm still shocked and chagrined for poochie. Eeeeewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!! That's just unacceptable.

Yes, that's pretty nasty. I hope everyone else didn't read about it right before lunch, like I unfortunately did.

johnm

by johnm » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:08 am

Hotoven wrote:
Dougb wrote:What's the highpoint of Road Island?

its weak is what it is.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -hill.html

I missed this one, I could have bagged it for lunch while we were touring Brown last year with my son :lol:

Next

Return to General