Report Bugs Here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Matt Miller
Site Admin

Re: Report Bugs Here

by Matt Miller » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:31 pm

Scott wrote:One of the top contributors of this site sent me a PM saying that he can't post on the forum and it just goes to his profile after trying the above.

If he clears all browsing data from his browser (cache, cookies, etc.) that should fix it. And once he does it once, it will be permanently fixed.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:56 pm

You should no longer have to hit F5 to refresh when editing, but should automatically receive a fresh page with each request to the server.

It's still happening. I just lost a huge amount of work because I added a photo and did not refresh.

It wasn't only the last edit that was lost, but 24 days worth of edits, not just the last one (I don't know why I just wouldn't lose the last one, but perhaps it is because that was the last time I used this particular computer). I don't think I can get them back either. I'm sorry, but the new SP can be incredibly tedious and frustrating.

Is there anyway to get back the information on the archive?

Until the many bugs are worked out, is there a way to back up individual pages, rather than just the entire SP?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:08 pm

On the phone, I can sign in, but starting today whenever I click on the forum, it takes me back to my profile. This is also true after the cache is clear.

This is still happening as well.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Scott wrote:It's still happening. I just lost a huge amount of work because I added a photo and did not refresh.

It wasn't only the last edit that was lost, but 24 days worth of edits, not just the last one (I don't know why I just wouldn't lose the last one, but perhaps it is because that was the last time I used this particular computer). I don't think I can get them back either. I'm sorry, but the new SP can be incredibly tedious and frustrating.

Is there anyway to get back the information on the archive?

Yes. What day did you make the edit and what is the page?

Also, I haven't heard anyone else reporting any issues lately. Lots of new pages have been made and edited. I haven't been having any problems as of late with browser-side caching either. I believe the problem to be resolved, so what you experienced could have been something else entirely. I don't follow exactly what happened, based on what you wrote, but the caching issue should be fixed.

Scott wrote:Until the many bugs are worked out, is there a way to back up individual pages, rather than just the entire SP?

Are there still "many" bugs? I'm not familiar with any serious bugs that remain.

It's easy enough to restore individual pages from the database backup. And also, the revert to a historical version should work as well, right?

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:11 am

Puma concolor wrote:I frequently click on forum tabs with increasingly no result.

What are "forum tabs"?

Puma concolor wrote:Plus my photos are strating to vanish..Don’t think they’re retrievable at this point.

About 2 weeks ago, there was a change in the place the photos were stored and it appears that some of them weren't copied correctly. They're still on the old drive in anticipation of some of them not being copied correctly. So we can re-copy them. But I haven't noticed it being a wide-spread problem. I've looked through lots and lots of image pages and I haven't noticed any missing.

Puma concolor wrote:I deleted a bunch that had been mysteriously rotated by 90 or 180 degrees, but now they’re just disappearing. Poof! It’s like the page is there but isn’t there.

Anytime anything on the site is requested to be deleted now, I manually do it myself, so I know there weren't "a bunch" of your photos that were deleted, but maybe 5 to 7 of them. And they're not "just disappearing" any more because the scripts that were moving them between disks stopped running about 2 weeks ago.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:06 am

Yes. What day did you make the edit and what is the page?

I made the edit just before I posted the message above on the forum, so Saturday just before 9:56 AM.

I believe the problem to be resolved, so what you experienced could have been something else entirely. I don't follow exactly what happened, based on what you wrote, but the caching issue should be fixed.

Maybe it is a new problem then. Here is the page (which I edit almost daily):

https://www.summitpost.org/2018-trip-log/1013262

Here is what happened. Just before 9:56 on April 14, I added a photo to the page (I think the one under March 20 entry, but it could have been the 19th) and all of the page written since March 21 simply disappeared. I just assumed that it was because of the previous refresh problem, but maybe it is something else.

Anyway, I was able to rewrite the page using my logs from Mountain Project and Lists of John.

I have also had images that I added to a page while in edit mode simply disappear, or at least become invisible.

And also, the revert to a historical version should work as well, right?

Any version in the history that had text between March 21 and April 14 disappeared. March 22 was probably the last time I used that particular computer until April 14, which I why I guessed that it was a caching issue. It could be something else though.

Are there still "many" bugs?

Other than not being able to post in the forum from the cell phone, and the problem mentioned above, most bugs seem to have to do with images. At least I'm still having a lot of problem with them (not displaying on the page properly unless embedded directly from edit mode, etc.). I can't be the only one.

This isn't a bug, but if you add images while in edit mode, I haven't found a way to move them. Is there a way? I just have to delete them and add new ones (which is why I have so many duplicate images lately).

Lots of new pages have been made and edited.

Take a look at those new pages though. Not that many people who have created the new pages lately are either embedding images or more than two images into the pages. I have also gone to embedding fewer images.

Edit: It seems that I can now post from the cell, but only after clearing the cache and signing in and out.

PS, it's all cool. I understand that this will all take patience.

Klenke

by Klenke » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 am

The advertisements (the one on the right, at least) are now hemming in list pages such that the far right column(s) are not readable. Example here. This was not the case before this latest wholesale website update.

Things like this should always be made to be backward compatible so users don't have to continually go in and futz with their pages to accommodate intrusive ads 95% of us could give two shits about.

I suppose I could go in and edit them to have a smaller font. But I really shouldn't have to do that at all. Because next thing you know is the advertisements will bite into even more real estate on the screen and cause me to have to start all over again fixing my content.

Paul

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:01 pm

Here's a bug. The page itself should be a forum post instead of an article, but it does point out a possible bug. It appears that when a photo is deleted that the text stays behind? Anyway, view the page and you will see what I mean:

https://www.summitpost.org/2018-si-of-r ... mb/1017379

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:32 am

Scott wrote:I'm sorry, but the new SP can be incredibly tedious and frustrating.

I agree. I've been sitting back and waiting for bugs to get worked out, but I have a list of pages I want to create.

Also, I know the site is now mobile-friendly according to Google, but I do not think it is so friendly to users of mobile devices. Two examples:

* On my phone, I have to scroll way down past lots of images on my profile page just to see my other pages.
* On my phone, attachments such as trip reports and routes that used to be displayed to the left of the main body are now beneath all text and images. The likely result of this is that many will never read or even see said route pages.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Matt Miller

stinkysox77

by stinkysox77 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Some area pages seem to have lost all of their content. Greater Yellowstone, the Beartooths, the Absarokas just nothing comes up when I open those pages its like all description written on those pages was deleted.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:48 pm

stinkysox77 wrote:Some area pages seem to have lost all of their content. Greater Yellowstone, the Beartooths, the Absarokas just nothing comes up when I open those pages its like all description written on those pages was deleted.

It looks like the content was deleted on March 28. Another hack?

Klenke

by Klenke » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Ok, the default SP font size appears to be "3". For the table cut-off problem...
This table of mine was cutting off the right-most column. I just adjusted to <font size="2"> to fix the problem...until the admins decide that the ads need to be even bigger and more intrusive.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback