runner thread

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Fri May 14, 2010 12:57 pm

yes, yes yes,,,,,,Third time is the charm, I've been told. Gannett doesn't LOOK that hard, yet.....somehow.....well..... ha ha ha :-D

No, this year we were thinking of Alaska (God Willin'...).

We had some roof damage to our house from two back-to-back blizzards. So far, it is costing much more than we anticipated (its a slate roof). It may set us into "Plan B" mode bigtime...

Then, my husband tore a disk in his back (L4/L5)....

no avatar
jniehof

by jniehof » Tue May 25, 2010 1:57 pm

MikeTX wrote:so what do you cool, stylin' dudes wear when you run to keep the sweat out of your eyes?

I wear a Buff in a lovely floral pattern.

It works marginally better for keeping the sweat out of my eyes than for impressing girls, and not particularly well for either. However, wiping my forehead off with my shirt is worse for both.

Scott Wesemann

by Scott Wesemann » Thu May 27, 2010 11:47 pm

tigerlilly wrote:yes, yes yes,,,,,,Third time is the charm, I've been told. Gannett doesn't LOOK that hard, yet.....somehow.....well..... ha ha ha :-D

No, this year we were thinking of Alaska (God Willin'...).

We had some roof damage to our house from two back-to-back blizzards. So far, it is costing much more than we anticipated (its a slate roof). It may set us into "Plan B" mode bigtime...

Then, my husband tore a disk in his back (L4/L5)....

Well, I hope you make it back and get that summit. I want to get back there in the next few years because it is by far my favorite summit.

Too bad RE your husbands back issues. I had major back surgery in 2001 and it took a good year to get back into any sort of climbing shape. Good luck!!

rochonchis

by rochonchis » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:53 pm

MikeTX wrote:so what do you cool, stylin' dudes wear when you run to keep the sweat out of your eyes?

I wear a Headsweats hat with the terry sweatband. These hats do the best job of keeping sweat out of my eyes.

Bark Eater

Mosquito Pass Marathon

by Bark Eater » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: Mosquito Pass Marathon. Yes, when the Leadville folks took over the race (early 2000's) they cheapened the course by keeping it all on the W side of the pass. This made the course a lot easier (less climbing), eliminated the fixed rope descent down the snowfield, and took away the fun of wading through all those meltwater streams on the E side. Average times improved well over an hour. I ran it once back on the old course (1999) and had a blast!

Sierra Ledge Rat

Re: Mosquito Pass Marathon

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:01 am

I must have run the Mosquite Marathon before that, because we roped over a cornice, hacked our way across ice fields using sharp rocks for ice axes, and crossed many streams. I thought a couple pair of spare socks was enough, but everything got soaked.

Florida Frank wrote:Re: Mosquito Pass Marathon. Yes, when the Leadville folks took over the race (early 2000's) they cheapened the course by keeping it all on the W side of the pass. This made the course a lot easier (less climbing), eliminated the fixed rope descent down the snowfield, and took away the fun of wading through all those meltwater streams on the E side. Average times improved well over an hour. I ran it once back on the old course (1999) and had a blast!

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Hills and trail running will make you tough and give you great endurance. They won't give you speed. The only proven way to develop leg speed is to do some up-tempo work with good leg turnover - a good old-fashioned interval workout. Several coaches have told me over the years that "the only way to get fast is to run fast". This becomes more challenging the older we get :D

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Half Marathon tomorrow. Gonna be like 100 degrees. Sucking down these pretzels to load salt.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:21 pm

John Duffield wrote:Half Marathon tomorrow. Gonna be like 100 degrees. Sucking down these pretzels to load salt.

One of my favorite distances. Flat course? Let us know how it goes. Don't get heat stroke!

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:55 am

Mile 9 -11 around a lake in the broiling sun was the worst! Some of my friends bailed before and during. I simply hadn't trained enough. Otherwise ok. I'd already made the decision not to concern myself with the time.

Interesting course. NYRR has a series of HMs with one in each Borough and I want to run them all this year. This was the one in Queens and it incorporated the site of the 1939 and 1964 Worlds Fairs. We'd spent a day at the one in '64.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Good job John. Sounds like an interesting series of halfs.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:53 pm

Bronx Half this coming Sunday. Loads of concrete to run on.

Still spots open!

http://www.nyrr.org/races/2010/hms/bronx_reg.asp

RickF

Re: runner thread

by RickF » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:51 pm

I'm in for my second L.A. Marathon. I just registered for 2011. Trying for a sub 4-hour finish this time. Anyone else doing LA in 2011?

JohnyBlaze999

Re: runner thread

by JohnyBlaze999 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Neuromas don't go away, but there are steps that you can take to not aggravate them. Compression is your enemy - whether it's shoes or activities.The metatarsal pads worked very well for me. I placed them with a podiatrist, and they are usually set even further than you expected - not just below where the pain occurs (under the ball of your foot), but further to the middle of your foot.Also I'm very helped by special shoes https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-running-shoes-for-mortons-neuroma-reviews/ During jogs very much helps, I don't feel pain, and this is the most important thing

Last edited by JohnyBlaze999 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training