Skeeters in the Sierra - 2010

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
puffer

by puffer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:20 pm

Rae Lakes wasn't bad at all last weekend. There were a few about but a little Deet kept them away. Didn't need netting. However, down at Junction Meadow, looked like they were getting pretty bad.

Aaron

no avatar
Bridges

by Bridges » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:15 am

ShortTimer wrote:Tuolumne last weekend was getting pretty bad in the campground but they were non-existant at the climbs. They were absolute murder on Lee Vining Creek on the way back to Saddlebag Lake on Sunday!

Tuolomne seems like it's getting bad. Sunrise lakes TH (return from clouds rest) was brutal in the afternoon.

no2haven

by no2haven » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:52 am

Carson Pass area was fine this past few weekend - a few were out but they weren't biting.

I'm sure that will change shortly, though...

simonov

by simonov » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Serious question: wouldn't there be fewer mosquitoes in the Sierra if there were MORE fish in the rivers and lakes?

Kerstin

by Kerstin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:19 pm

We hiked up the Christmas Valley trail to about a mile past Round Lake last Wednesday. The mosquitos near Meiss Lake were a lot like the ones in Fedak's photo. Not the worst I've ever experienced, but pretty annoying. The mosquitos would get into your mouth quite often.

We didn't get out our head nets, but if I'd spent the night I definitely would have used one! Even with repellent, I got bit through my clothing so many times I felt like I'd been poisoned. I'm thinking of bringing a roll of mosquito netting to use when I stop for a snack in conditions like these!

snowblind

by snowblind » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:23 pm

In the North Lake area last week, there were a few a Piute Lake, minimal to none around Desolation/Wahoo/Murial lakes....same story in the Darwin Bench area (naturally worse in the lower areas). It was just starting to get thick at Upper and Lower Lamarck lakes (deet required).

Noondueler

by Noondueler » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:05 am

Just got back from Tuolumne area Yosemite. (July 11) Sprayed down good with deet and no problem going through the thickest boggiest terrain even though the company I kept saw me as a banquet on legs.

drpw

by drpw » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Let me summarize the last 5 pages for you who are too lazy to read through them: Mersquitos are going berserk anywhere where there is water. Bring deet on every trip until late September. You're welcome.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:02 pm

drpw wrote:Let me summarize the last 5 pages for you who are too lazy to read through them: Mersquitos are going berserk anywhere where there is water. Bring deet on every trip until late September. You're welcome.

Actually, there are NO mosquitos in Center Basin. None whatsoever. And plenty of water. Go figure.

(as of July 3-6)
Last edited by mrchad9 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Ran into a couple of "Organic Hiking Trendies" completely covered up from head to toe and I in just my short sleeve shirt and shorts, a couple of weeks ago on the NF of Big Pine just below Sam Mack Meadow. They noticed that I had not one of them pests on me while they were in total misery and wore at least 30 of em on their bodies and were ceaselessly swatting away.

They immediately asked what I was using to repel the pesky poking vermits. I instantly told them nothing less than 100% DEET. They responded that they could never apply that chemical on their bodies. I then replied with no hesitation... "Then I suggest that ya'll shut up and take the pain!"

Unbelievable!
Last edited by The Chief on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:11 pm

The Chief wrote:Ran into a couple of "Organic Trendies" completely covered up and I in my short sleeve shirt and shorts, a couple of weeks ago on the NF of Big Pine just below Sam Mack Meadow. They noticed that I had not one of them pests on me while they were in total misery and wore at least 30 of em on their bodies and were ceaselessly swatting away.

They immediately asked what I was using to repel the pesky poking vermits. I instantly told them nothing less than 100% DEET. They responded that they could never apply that chemical on their bodies. I then replied with no hesitation... "Then I suggest that ya'll shut up and take the pain!"

Unbelievable!

HAHA! Funny that they would even ask knowing they were putting themselves in that situation. I am sure their principles will carry them through!

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:34 pm

The Chief wrote:Ran into a couple of "Organic Hiking Trendies" completely covered up from head to toe and I in just my short sleeve shirt and shorts, a couple of weeks ago on the NF of Big Pine just below Sam Mack Meadow. They noticed that I had not one of them pests on me while they were in total misery and wore at least 30 of em on their bodies and were ceaselessly swatting away.

Unbelievable!

Were those Asians? I ran into many of them last weekend here in the local San Gabriels completely covered up with gloves, face net, and so on by almost 90 degrees out there. They were all Asian, mostly Korean I think. Must be a cultural thing more than anything. Looks very uncomfortable to me though.

PreviousNext

Return to California