The use of stair steppers for really steep snow climbs

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Vitaliy M.

Re: The use of stair steppers for really steep snow climbs

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:53 am

climbing mountains is supposed to be fun!

NO! Climbing should be bad ass.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq3vP9kZPEs[/youtube]

Also, +1 for dumping the water out on top of a peak. I do the same. It is really bad for your knees to hike down with all that weight. Also mixing up work outs is great. Sometimes jogging up the hill. Sometimes carry water up it, or use a stair stepper on different work-out programs.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:28 am

ywardhorner wrote:
JohnP wrote:I've used a step climber (step mill is what it's called in my gym) a lot for preparation for climbing steep snow and can't really add much more than what has already been said. What I can recommend, and what I've followed, is to never train extensively with more than 25 lbs of weight in my pack. The reason is two fold: any more weight during training increases my recovery time significantly and, most importantly, reduces the "mileage" on my back, core, and knees. Trying to build muscle strength (heavy pack) and endurance at the same time day after day is a recipe, IMHO, for overtraining and ultimately, injury. If I know I will be carrying a heavy pack on a specific climb I will incorporate maybe a couple of heavy pack sessions (in my case it's hiking in the hills near my home) per week for 2 or 3 weeks prior in order to get accustomed to the feel of the extra weight but this is only for a brief length of time not as a part of my regular workouts for the reasons mentioned above.

I train with a 45 lb pack 2-3 times per week all spring/summer. I don't find that it affects my recovery time. Right now I'm back in the gym trying to improve my speed with intervals on stair mill and fast walking on treadmill (with pack) and I'm starting trail running (no pack). Most of the summer I did a 2-4 hour hike up my nearby training mountain (1300 to 2600 foot elevation gain) with my 45 lb pack, 2-3 times per week, in addition to long uphill day hikes (peak bagging) with a light pack. I find that if I train with a light pack, I then get slaughtered when I go out with a heavy pack. I usually carry about 45 lbs (+/- 5) when going after technical overnight summer routes in the mountains (I'm psycho about buying only the lightest possible gear).

I recently decided to start dumping out all my water weight at the top of my training hill to spare my knees on the descent. I think that's a good way to go.

So for a 2-3 day Alpine rock trip, including trad rack and water, you can keep it to 45lbs? If this is so, care to share what's in your pack? Mine is upper 60lbs for something like that.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:32 am

Ze wrote:From a pure cardio aspect, the best routine is the one that you will make you the most likely to push yourself.

1 minute intervals are great for pushing yourself, but not the best for endurance development, and frankly the adaptations to intervals are done after like 3 weeks of them- basically they are best as a "top off" to your workouts and blocks before tapering a week before a big effort.

IMO the best routine (for all around endurance) is structured around tackling each endurance energy mechanism.

1 day: High intensity intervals (example, 3 x 6 min). These are great interval durations. Why? Because you will actually tax both anaerobic and aerobic glycolysis systems quite well. It takes 2 -3 minutes to shift away from anaerobic to more aerobic energy usage, so intervals < 3 minutes simply don't take the aerobic system that hard. 6 minutes is good as you'll get a few minutes at very high % of your VO2 max and HRmax. These are essentially VO2 max intervals.

After the effort, mix in some cross-training, either other moderate effort cardio or weights or other technical aspects you want to improve.

1 day: High intensity threshold workout (1 x 20 - 40 min). This is the best bang for your buck effort. This is a moderate duration effort that is really aimed at working just above your lactate threshold. The duration could be longer but it becomes really mentally and physically taxing to sustain the appropriate intensity for that long, so YMMV. This tends to be the most painful workout for me, (though final HR of 96% max is similar to workout #1). This is mostly about aerobic glycolysis though still a good amount of anaerobic initially. Your body is generating a decent (but not absurd) amount of lactate that ideally you want your muscles to better learn how to utilize to become more efficient.

1 day: Long duration ( multi hours). Now you will be below your lactate threshold and more reliant on the combination of aerobic carb and fat metabolism. This is obviously relevant for the long duration efforts in mountaineering.

You can add 1 minute intervals into any of these, or on additional days, but IMO these form the foundation of a plan that allows you to be quickly ready for any duration endurance effort.

I'm going to give this a try. I've always done shorter intervals, and was on the fence about lengthening them. I'll report back after a few weeks after I compare trips on similar terrain/load.

Ze

by Ze » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:17 pm

kevin trieu wrote:
Ze wrote:...
1 day: High intensity intervals (example, 3 x 6 min). These are great interval durations. Why? Because you will actually tax both anaerobic and aerobic glycolysis systems quite well. It takes 2 -3 minutes to shift away from anaerobic to more aerobic energy usage, so intervals < 3 minutes simply don't take the aerobic system that hard. 6 minutes is good as you'll get a few minutes at very high % of your VO2 max and HRmax. These are essentially VO2 max intervals.

jeeze... climbing mountains is supposed to be fun! the Western world's too focused on the training aspect of climbing. the Russians don't train. the Sherpas don't train. they just climb the mountains.

but yes, doing the stairmaster until you almost puke is a good way to train. doing physical activities until you almost puke is a good way to measure if you have done enough. puke or hallucination and sometimes both, simultaneously.

:mrgreen: hey this isn't CrossFit, there shouldn't be any puking! Personally, I'm more likely to hallucinate and puke from very high altitude exposure than from sea level exercise :wink:

Actually I agree with you on being too focused on training - I think you're more right speaking out very high altitude, multiday stuff where this sort of conditioning becomes less important. But if you don't live by mountains and want to dayhike 9000 ft to a 14'er the training is just going to make your trek feel easier.

ywardhorner

by ywardhorner » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:29 pm

WyomingSummits wrote:
ywardhorner wrote:I train with a 45 lb pack 2-3 times per week all spring/summer. I don't find that it affects my recovery time. Right now I'm back in the gym trying to improve my speed with intervals on stair mill and fast walking on treadmill (with pack) and I'm starting trail running (no pack). Most of the summer I did a 2-4 hour hike up my nearby training mountain (1300 to 2600 foot elevation gain) with my 45 lb pack, 2-3 times per week, in addition to long uphill day hikes (peak bagging) with a light pack. I find that if I train with a light pack, I then get slaughtered when I go out with a heavy pack. I usually carry about 45 lbs (+/- 5) when going after technical overnight summer routes in the mountains (I'm psycho about buying only the lightest possible gear).

I recently decided to start dumping out all my water weight at the top of my training hill to spare my knees on the descent. I think that's a good way to go.

So for a 2-3 day Alpine rock trip, including trad rack and water, you can keep it to 45lbs? If this is so, care to share what's in your pack? Mine is upper 60lbs for something like that.

WS, we are really fixated on light gear -- everything we buy has to be ultralight. We have superlight carabiners (though now there are lighter ones, I think), superlight slings, superlight shells, sleeping systems, headlamps, harness, stuff sacks, you name it. Any time you can shave a couple ounces on a piece of gear, you should. Ounces makes pounds. Food is calculated to the calorie and I would never carry more than a quart of water while hiking, more likely 16 oz. I prehydrate and refill/drink along the way. We take skinny double ropes but are thinking about even abandoning one rope in the future and carrying 200ft of 6 or 7 mil cord (for the rappels). Also, my big pack is one of the lightest on the market for its capacity.

My load was about 36-38 lbs on our last trip, lightest ever.

And this is summer climbing only, with light bags/tent and minimal down. Heavier in the winter.
Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/YWardHorner or check out my blog http://blog.yvettewardhorner.com

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:59 pm

36lbs.....man, I haul that on my "light n fasts"! I envy you, my trip over Jackass pass to the Cirque consisted of me with 75lbs.....and I had drank all of my water. :) I've been accumulating the Black Diamond Neutrino biners.....one of the lightest ones I've found......but the going has been slow. My goal is to be down to 45-50lbs pack weight in the next 5 years by phasing out little by little each year. I wish I could haul less water, but I sweat profusely, so I have to keep the tank topped off.....but it's nice to have a trek that has available water everywhere.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:46 pm

+10F down sleeping bag/ neoair pad (both in a compression sack)
My partner will carry either the stove/gas or a tent. I will carry the other item (my tent is MH Direkt 2 - which is about 2.8 lbs packed)
If I can, I avoid taking crampons or ice axe.
I do not carry water, and drink out of alpine creeks/lakes (maps will tell you where those are). Prefer snow melt from glaciers. Do not use a purifier, unless I am going to a crowded area.
I do not bring a change of clothing or a bunch of extra shit. Just a lightweight knife, headlamp, map, light hat and some duct tape
Usually a shell jacket and a down sweater. No need for a large jacket in summer (around Sierra at least).
For food I started mixing instant oatmeal, with raisins, chocolate and instant coffee. I mix it in a ziplock bag and all i have to do is add some water to it and it is ready. For dinner I either do freeze dried or top ramen. If I do top ramen I usually bring cheeze/ham, or a can of tuna if I do not care about the weight that much. + snacks. Snack depend on how much I care about the weight. Lately I like a bagel with nutella or peanut butter/jelly sandwich.
For rack I usually do not take any extra gear than indicated+10-12 slings. Half of them would have 2 carabiners and half would have one (I shoulder these).

my trip over Jackass pass to the Cirque consisted of me with 75lbs

Did you pack a panda? On a trip to climb Quitaraju and Alpamayo (brought 8 days of food) I carried all the needed winter gear, my half of group gear (we were a 2 person team), and my pack was around 50 lbs. Either you suck at estimating the weight, or REALLY suck at packing. When I planned a 4 day/3 night ridge traverse with a 40M 9.2 rope and a single set of cams to #1/nuts my pack weighted 20 lbs (without water which I did not carry like always).

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Just to be clearI do not want to make it a gear intensive conversation and direct you to buy lightest gear on the market, you do not need it. But one can easily keep their pack under 45 lbs on a trip to climb a technical route. Unless you have to carry the rack, rope, 2 gallons of water, 10 lb tent, stove, and gas all on your own.

Also I usually use my REI Flash 65 backpack which is light (would prefer flash 50, but got 65 for 15$ on used gear sale so couldn't refuse), and flash 18 for day climbs.
Post list of things you brought so we could work on it > : )

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:

+10F down sleeping bag/ neoair pad (both in a compression sack)
My partner will carry either the stove/gas or a tent. I will carry the other item (my tent is MH Direkt 2 - which is about 2.8 lbs packed)
I do not carry water, and drink out of alpine creeks/lakes (maps will tell you where those are). Prefer snow melt from glaciers. Do not use a purifier, unless I am going to a crowded area.
I do not bring a change of clothing or a bunch of extra shit. Just a lightweight knife, headlamp, map, light hat and some duct tape
Usually a shell jacket and a down sweater. No need for a large jacket in summer (around Sierra at least).
For food I started mixing instant oatmeal, with raisins, chocolate and instant coffee. I mix it in a ziplock bag and all i have to do is add some water to it and it is ready. For dinner I either do freeze dried or top ramen. If I do top ramen I usually bring cheeze/ham, or a can of tuna if I do not care about the weight that much. + snacks. Snack depend on how much I care about the weight. Lately I like a bagel with nutella or peanut butter/jelly sandwich.
For rack I usually do not take any extra gear than indicated+10-12 slings. Half of them would have 2 carabiners and half would have one (I shoulder these).

my trip over Jackass pass to the Cirque consisted of me with 75lbs

Did you pack a panda? On a trip to climb Quitaraju and Alpamayo (brought 8 days of food) I carried all the needed winter gear, my half of group gear (we were a 2 person team), and my pack was around 50 lbs. Either you suck at estimating the weight, or REALLY suck at packing. When I planned a 4 day/3 night ridge traverse with a 40M 9.2 rope and a single set of cams to #1/nuts my pack weighted 20 lbs (without water which I did not carry like always).

I took a double rack, a 60m 10mm rope, and all of the rest of the normal stuff. 6lb tent, 2lb bag, just the clothes I had on me, stove with one small canister, 3 days food. I weighed the pack with full camelback.....I weighed 75lbs more than I did without it. I was kind of shocked.....but the double rack is the culprit. I was with 2 new alpine climbers (newer to climbing period) and had no idea what situation I might get into, so I brought a bit much. I had a couple of #4 BD's on there.....that'll saddle you down in a hurry. :) I didn't realize those were still on there....lol. But it still seems that I'm running 10lbs too heavy, even with the weight reduction for the rack. Def need a lighter rope......A lightweight softshell, rainshell, and microfleece. One change socks. I use a UV filter that weighs nearly nothing. We didn't distribute the gear so my partners had approx 30-40lbs each, with their gear being pretty basic, heavy stuff. Dunno....I brought it up because I'm trying to figure out where the weight is coming from and what tips people might have to reduce weight without buying a crap ton of ultralight gear. My pack weighs 4lbs.....so tent, pack, sleeping bag combine for 12lbs.
Last edited by WyomingSummits on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ywardhorner

by ywardhorner » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:+10F down sleeping bag/ neoair pad (both in a compression sack)

I've got a Neoair too, those things are sweet. And I don't take extra clothes or fancy food, just dehydrated nastiness (Mountain House) and I'm in the same gross socks & underwear for however long it takes. Sweat dries if you're wearing good gear. It trips me out when I read about people cooking up gourmet meals in the hills. All I can think is WHY would you carry all that crap. Eat when you get home.
Connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/YWardHorner or check out my blog http://blog.yvettewardhorner.com

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:20 pm

ywardhorner wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:+10F down sleeping bag/ neoair pad (both in a compression sack)

I've got a Neoair too, those things are sweet. And I don't take extra clothes or fancy food, just dehydrated nastiness (Mountain House) and I'm in the same gross socks & underwear for however long it takes. Sweat dries if you're wearing good gear. It trips me out when I read about people cooking up gourmet meals in the hills. All I can think is WHY would you carry all that crap. Eat when you get home.

I'm the same way.....just one extra pair of socks. Same with the food. I sleep on a BigAgnes 48" airpad......and I'm close to 6-3. Cut corners where I could. :)

ywardhorner

by ywardhorner » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:07 pm

I'm the same way.....just one extra pair of socks. Same with the food. I sleep on a BigAgnes 48" airpad......and I'm close to 6-3. Cut corners where I could. :)

huh . . . wonder why your pack is so much heavier than mine. Obviously the double rack is a problem and carrying all the gear for your partners. Other than that, it's probably just creep from overweight gear . . . a heavy old harness + shell + heavy biners etc etc, it all adds up. You should weigh each piece of gear with a kitchen scale and see what you've got. Some examples: my minimalist Goretex shell jacket weighs 8 oz, my harness is 6 oz, my headlamp is 4 oz with batts -- all of these things replaced much heavier gear over the years. Also weigh your pack -- big packs tend to be heavy and the older it is, the heavier it will be. My big 75L pack weighs around 4lbs. I have an ancient 55L pack that weighs close to 8lbs!

Anyway, we've totally hijacked this thread -- sorry OP. If you want to discuss specific gear in depth, just PM me.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:30 pm

6lb tent
2lb bag
Pad-1lb?
backpack 4lbs
Rope is about 10lbs
Rack on a very heavy side would be 15 maybe
So that's 38 lbs.
Water:if you carry 2L at a time that's 4.4 lbs (but you should drink from creeks if safe)

So distribute the rack between your friends (if there are 2), or find a fair way to split group gear. If there are two of us one usually takes the rack (heavier than rope)/stove&gas (lighter than tent. don't bring enough gas for 1 week long trip if you are going on an over-nighter) and the other gets the rope and a tent (or if rack is NOT heavier than the rope we switch a few things).

If you keep the same combination of things but take away the rack it will leave you with 27.4 lb pack (including 2L of water). So you can take 12.6 lbs of food/random shit and have your pack weight 40 lbs. I can't believe it was 75!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:29 am

blivet -- 10 lbs.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:54 pm

ywardhorner wrote:

huh . . . wonder why your pack is so much heavier than mine. Obviously the double rack is a problem and carrying all the gear for your partners. Other than that, it's probably just creep from overweight gear . . . a heavy old harness + shell + heavy biners etc etc, it all adds up. You should weigh each piece of gear with a kitchen scale and see what you've got. Some examples: my minimalist Goretex shell jacket weighs 8 oz, my harness is 6 oz, my headlamp is 4 oz with batts -- all of these things replaced much heavier gear over the years. Also weigh your pack -- big packs tend to be heavy and the older it is, the heavier it will be. My big 75L pack weighs around 4lbs. I have an ancient 55L pack that weighs close to 8lbs!

Anyway, we've totally hijacked this thread -- sorry OP. If you want to discuss specific gear in depth, just PM me.[/quote
My hardshell is older(and cheap) and weighs close to a pound. I had a lightweight GoLite shell that was 9oz but it got shredded. Most of my biners are older, my harness is 19oz, etc......I've been going back and looking up the specs on this stuff......it's adding up.

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training