Sad News: David Breashears passed away

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
tigerlilly

Sad News: David Breashears passed away

by tigerlilly » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:58 am

Hi Friends,

I saw this morning in the news that David Breashears passed away on 3/14.

Here is a link to an Outside Magazine posting:
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-a ... ears-dies/

I only met him a few times, mostly at talks he gave and book signings. But I can tell you a story about a brief encounter I had that revealed his character.

When I was still living in Boston, he gave an evening talk/book signing. I was thrilled to attend and wanted to be there so badly, that I dragged along my 1 year old daughter. After the talk, a long line formed for the book signing. I had a book I wanted to get signed. With my infant daughter squirming in my lap, I opted to wait in my auditorium seat, thinking it would be more comfortable for her if we just waited it out. I was sitting there for a few minutes, waiting for the long line to finish, Grace was squirming and growing restless as the evening wore on. I was like, well, better hunker down, this is going to be a long night. David looked up, saw me sitting there and realized what was goign on. He paused the book signing. He asked me if I was waiting for my book to get signed and I replied yes. He then asked the 50+ people if I could cut the line. They agreed and I was able to get my book signed and head home. This brief encounter revealed his character. I am certain he brought this character to his hiking and was the best of hiking partners . RIP

The following user would like to thank tigerlilly for this post
ZeeJay

asmrz

Re: Sad News: David Breashears passed away

by asmrz » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:17 pm

Some of the most incredible high altitude videos from Everest, ever.

Way too young to go.

Condolences to family and friends.

Return to News