Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 9, 2012
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Add Heading Here

This trip to Pico de Orizaba was a personal test in order to decide if high altitude mountaineering is appropriate for me. My ultimate goal is to reach a mountain around 7000m such as Aconcagua. Having climbed already several 4000 meters peaks in USA such as Shasta and Longs Peak, I decided to try Pico de Orizaba as a test for higher altitudes. I went during a Spring Break (March 2012) and successfully summit on March 9, 2012.

I live in the Chicago area so, because of the low elevation, I decided to spend two days in Tlachichuca (about 2600 meter elevation) and two days at Piedra Grande (about 4200 meters) before my summit bid.

This worked fine for me and I only felt the altitude during the final hour to the summit. Not a sickness but only a marked slow rhythm.

The weather was perfect but there is a tradeoff. During Spring while the weather is nice, there is almost no fresh snow which means the glacier is practically 100% ice. It is critical to have crampons for ice climbing because there is little penetration with the ice axe in the frozen snow and, if a fall happens, a self-arrest will be very difficult.
I had no problems during the climb and I did not need to rope up with the guide but I had new crampons( Black Diamonds Sabre Tooth) that performed very well on the ice.

I slept at Cancholas who provided also with a guide and transportation to Piedra Grande. I also slept in my own tent at Piedra Grande which I highly recommend for the following reasons: Piedra Grande is infested with mice (not a pleasant night) and it can be noisy with all the tourists. Furthermore you will travel with a car to Piedra Grande so weight is no issue....There is really no reason to NOT come with your own tent.

All in all, I think the best lesson from this adventure is to have patience and lots and lots of patience before attempting the summit. I saw countless people with severe altitude sickness coming down from the mountain and vomiting along the way. I think if you take several nights at intermediate altitudes the summit will be within reach...And, it is well worth it...The view from the top is incredible...

Comments

No comments posted yet.