Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 30.53500°N / 104.065°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5560 ft / 1695 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

There is a lot of rock in the Davis Mountains area, but, unfortunately, this is Texas, where 95% of the land is privately owned.

A welcome exception is Point of Rocks, a roadside park about 20 minutes west of Fort Davis where there is trad and sport climbing up to three pitches.

The rock looks and feels like granite but is technically syenite, which is basically granite without quartz. As a result, the rock apparently is softer and more subject to flaking and wear than true granite is.

View 2
View 2

Getting There

From Fort Davis, head out of town on 17. After about 2 miles, turn right on 166. About 10 miles later, there will be a roadside park on the right. This is Point of Rocks.

Parking Lot View
Parking Lot View

Routes

The Mountain Project page for POR mentions a PDF you can download. This guide is the best source of information about the climbing here, but right now at least, the link for it is not working. If you want to climb here, you can message me with your email address and I will send you the guidebook since I downloaded it way back.

That said, and since I've only been to this location once, I'm not going to pretend to know where all the faces are and what the routes are. I will, however, add a couple route pages to reflect what I did climb.

View 3
View 3

 

Red Tape

This is Texas, and private property is a big deal. POR is adjacent to private land. Do your best to stay off private property.

When to Climb

Fall through spring. Summer is hot, usually 90+ degrees and often over 100.

Camping

None. You might be able to sleep in your car here, but I can't recommend that because I really don't know if that's legal. There definitely is no developed camping here, and there are not even trash bins or restrooms.

 



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.