Viewing: 1-10 of 10
desainme

desainme - Jul 1, 2007 9:40 pm - Voted 10/10

well, didya

make it up Kelso?

eric b

eric b - Jul 3, 2007 2:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: well, didya

yup it was a great day, I wrote a trip report about it, thanks for the vote
http://www.summitpost.org/trip/report/305224/KelsoRidge-FirstFourteener.html

eric b

eric b - Jul 3, 2007 2:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: so, are ya

not really other than making it on page 1, featured articles.

ml96361

ml96361 - Jul 4, 2007 12:04 am - Voted 10/10

misconceptions

So true ! ! !

T Sharp

T Sharp - Jul 4, 2007 7:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Huh?

The Western peaks are a mirage? Sea level variation? Life is a struggle to overcome? What is your point?
Climbing in the Himalaya, the Rockies, or the White Mountains, is still climbing, it is just very different. If it is climbing that brings you joy, fulfills you spiritualy, and challenges you physically, then it really does not matter where you practice.

Your challenge will be to stay in the moment, to make the most of each summit attempt on its own merit, and to quit comparing apples to oranges.
Otherwise you might find yourself on the Grand Teton, thinking this sure `aint Everest, or as perty as the Whites of home, and completely miss the Bald Eagle that just flew over the Range, or that little cluster of moss champion under your left foot.

eric b

eric b - Jul 5, 2007 7:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Huh?

maybe you missed the part that said not in an argumentative sense. Thanks for your feedback from "your challenge" onward is great stuff. The comparison is not one I am making to what is real or actual its to the mirage that was created in my mind at a young age by people's descriptions.

T Sharp

T Sharp - Jul 6, 2007 12:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Huh?

I read the trip report associated with this article, and enjoyed it very much indeed. I do agree with many of the points you make, and would enjoy a trail time discussion of these topics.
Cheers;
Tim

eric b

eric b - Jul 6, 2007 7:30 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Huh?

Haven't been to Montana yet but its on my list. I'll be sure to let you know when I'm out there-great pics by the way!

ericnoel

ericnoel - Jul 29, 2007 7:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Prelude

I think you are absolutely right. Elevation is not everything and is overemphasized in some areas ie Colorado. While altitude certainly has some correlation to ecology, oxygen and precipitation, in the end it is not a great shorthand way of judging peaks. I'm not sure that there is one but elevation is not it.

Having said that, I lived and hiked in the East for 23 years and now I live in the West. It's subjective, but I remain nonetheless convinced than West>East for mtns by a healthy margin. There is a preconception or mirage and it is perhaps sometimes a mirage, but often it is very real.

eric b

eric b - Jul 30, 2007 2:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Prelude

Seems its the people that haven't really experienced the wrath of the worst weather in the world are the ones who laugh at the peaks of the East. I agree with your point of view, thanks for your input.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Prelude to Kelso Ridge- First Fourteener, East vs West' main page