Quandary Peak - April 13, 2008

Quandary Peak - April 13, 2008

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.39728°N / 106.10637°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 13, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Getting There

We were staying with some friends at a condo in Breckenridge, and thought it would be a great day to attempt Quandary. I had never done it before, but I heard it was good 14er to do in the winter/spring.

We got a pretty late start (which is usual for me), leaving Breck towards the Quandary trailhead at about 9:30am.

Directions


From Breck, continue on Hwy 9 South for about 8 miles. Turn right on Blue Lakes 850 road. Look for McCullough Gulch Rd 851 road just a short distance down on the right. During the winter, you must park either on 850 or in a small plowed area next to the 851 turnoff. Fortunately it's a short hike up 851 to the Quandary trailhead.

Parking

Quandary Peak Trailhead

Ascent

We got moving at about 10:15am. The trail starts ascending pretty quickly from the trailhead, heading up towards the West / Northwest through the forest. There are now a few trail markers at key points on the early part of the trail, where some people have traditionally had problems finding the way.

Quandary Peak - early trail

Quandary Peak trial markers


The trail snakes a bit through the forest and then quickly (within say 45 minutes?) breaks treeline and heads west up the ridge all the way to the summit. From here it's a very direct route along the ridge. There are basically 2 long steep sections of the ridge, with a flat area separating them. This year there is still quite a bit of snow all the way up the trail, so we used our snowshoes most of the way. However, there were a couple of people that hiked straight up in boots.
On the ridge

Wind blown snow

Upper Quandary Ridge

On the ridge

Looking back


We reached the summit by about 2pm. The weather was just amazing this day. Not a cloud in the sky, and very little wind!
Quandary Peak summit - south view

Quandary Peak summit - Southwest view.  14,265

Quandary Peak summit - southwest view.  14,265

Quandary Peak summit - West view.  14,265

Quandary Peak summit - North view.  14,265

Cheesy summit pic


Descent

After a few minutes on the summit, we headed back down. It was steep enough to warrant some minor switchbacking, but other than that it was very straightforward.

We ran across a beautiful mountain goat on the flat part of the ridge.
Mountain goat

Mountain goat


..And some curious birds when we were taking a short break back down at treeline
Birds



We reached the car by about 4pm

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Apr 15, 2008 8:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Good info

Thanks for the report.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1