Viewing: 1-3 of 3
jclements

jclements - Jan 4, 2006 3:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Good trip report, bro! Just to clarify, we actually stopped to converse just below the saddle. With the high winds, I thought that the peak would be unattainable. It was obscured by clouds and windrift, so it was hard to guage. I saw Peerless so close and thought that that was at least doable. Joe had been knocked down to the ground and I guess he thought that the peak wasn't a good idea, either. I started for the saddle from the upper mine area, Joe followed, and Brad headed straight for the summit ridge. We thought he would just climb it a bit and call it off. Peerless was crazy windy up top, and heavily corniced. When Joe and I returned to the saddle we couldn't see Brad so I deduced he was going for it. "I guess that soldier meant business," is how I put it to Joe. We decided to at least head up the ridge until we met Brad. We caught sight of him and followed him all the way up, once we realized that the winds seemed to be steady but strong on the ridge, and not really gusty.

Brad forgot one of the most important parts: going into Fairplay to the Park Bar and Grill. Real simple menu, burgers and deep-fried foods, and beer. Good service. Don't let the crusty regulars at the bar scare you.

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Jan 5, 2006 2:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

John, thanks for the clarification. Looking back, it may have been foolish of me to go for Horseshoe's summit alone, but on this trip it turned out okay. Also, I had not even remembered the name of the bar: thanks for the addition. It was definitely a worthwhile place to stop, especially after a tiring day in the mountains!

Haliku

Haliku - Jan 11, 2006 10:30 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Sounds like a great 'character' building trip. Thanks for sharing.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Relentless December Winds on Horseshoe Mountain' main page