Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.38925°N / 120.31849°W
Additional Information County: Chelan
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1920 ft / 585 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking at the summit of Rooster Comb
Looking at the summit of Rooster Comb

Rooster Comb is another famous hiking sub-peak in the Wenatchee foothills. It is actually one of the more southern of the Wenatchee Foothills. The summit area itself only has just over 100 feet of prominence but its views and special summit more that make up for its lack of prominence. The peak is fairly popular with the locals but not as popular as the neighboring Saddle Rock Mountain from which Rooster Comb shares the same parking lot with. On top of Rooster Comb lies a number of rocks that one can scramble and bolder on. In fact the highest eight foot rock is the highest point on Rooster Comb. Most people don't try to get on it because there is no place the sit on it and it is very tricky and glassy to get on top of. 


Josh Lewis tagging the summit rockThe summit rock with Josh Lewis on it
Another rock on the summit areaAnother cool scramble rock


Rooster Comb itself provides stellar views of the Wenatchee Valley, Mission Ridge, and the other Wenatchee Foothills. Because this area is in a semiarid climate there are very few trees here that will block views from the valley until you reach the top. In terms of views this good but it also means you are exposed to all of the weather during cold winter days and hot sumer days. Therefore keep an eye on the weather and don't plan on hiking this peak in either extremely cold or hot days.  

Wenatchee between the rocksWenatchee between the rocks
Near the summit area looking northLooking to the north from the summit area

Getting There

VIA THE NORTHERN ACCESS: From Miller Street head south. Veer right on Circle Street which will be the end o Miller Street. Drive a quarter of a mile and park in the parking area. Make sure not to block the any gated roads.

Route

Map of the Route
Map of the Route

Outside of the final rock 8' on top of Rooster Comb, the hike up to Rooster Comb is a standard 4 mile, 900 foot elevation gain hike. It follows a road most of the way up to the base of the 120 foot final rise. From there you can either take the steep way up to the left or to the right a road will lead you to an easier boot-path to your right. Once you get to the summit area you can either take it easy on the summit base, try to touch the summit or try to sit on the summit rock chaval style.  

Looking down at WenatcheeThe beginning of the route
Looking up at the summit areaLooking up the easiest route up Rooster Comb

Red Tape

Parking is available from dawn to dusk. Staying significantly after dusk causes you to risk a ticket. Do not go off-trail especially down low because there are No Tresspassing Signs there and there was a guy monitoring people when we were there

When to Climb

Rooster Comb can be climbed at any time however each season has its advantages and drawbacks. The perfect time to hike this peak is from mid April to early May when the flowers are out at their peak and the snake season has not really gotten going. The balsam root flower is legendary in this area. 
Balsamroot
Balsamroot


Rooster Comb is probably be best avoided just after a rainstorm and in summer. Most of the serious trail erosion here happens when the trail is very muddy. In summer Wenatchee can easily get over 105 degrees because it is on the lee-side of the Cascade Mountains. Rattlesnakes are out at this time and can be a problem on the trail from late April to early November. Use caution up on Rooster Comb during this time. Snow does fall here in winter but many times it does not last long. However ice can form on the trail requiring traction devices on hiking boots.

Flowers and SageSage and flowers
Looking down at WenatcheeFlowers and Wenatchee

Camping

Camping is Prohibited.

External Links

Hiking Trip Report up Rooster Comb


.