South Ridge Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Mar 12, 2007 1:41 am - Voted 10/10

Clements

Thanks for adding this. Clements is one that I am interesting in climbing. Your description will be helpful because of the difficult scrambling on this route. How was the descent down the west ridge? Is there a lot of talus?

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 12, 2007 1:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Clements

Thanks for reading and asking!

The descent was very fast, and the goat trail up there was not as unnerving as some descriptions make it out to be (but do take care to keep your eyes on the trail). Once off the ridge itself and descending the slopes to reach the trail to Hidden Lake, you will find a lot of talus and some minor bushwhacking through some shrubs and rock-- all of it easy, as long as you're going down it! Going up would not be technically hard, but it would be exhausting.

That is why, despite the vague route on the south ridge, if I were climbing the mountain again, I would once again take the south ridge or maybe try the east face couloir. Remember-- the south ridge will be Class 3 and Class 4 with some respectable exposure, but if you don't follow the guidebook route EXACTLY, and I didn't, you will get into Class 5 with much more significant exposure.

That said, though, it was great fun and was worth it. Good luck! It's an awesome mountain and an awesome park-- my favorite.

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Jan 12, 2011 2:17 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Clements

Sounds like someone needs to write a book with advanced climbing routes in Glacier!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jan 12, 2011 2:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Clements

Well, you wouldn't catch me complaining about having to go to work in that case!

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Jan 13, 2011 7:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Clements

It is a rough job to have to chronicle all of the climbing routes in the park..but someone has to do it!

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'South Ridge' main page