• Construction on the world's highest suspension bridge began June 5, 1929,
and was completed Nov. 1929
• Length: 1,260 feet (384 meters)
• Width: 18 feet (5 meters)
• Main Span: 880 feet (268 meters)
• Towers: 150 feet high (46 meters)
• 2,100 strands of No. 9 galvanized wire
• Weight of cables: 300 tons
• 1,000 tons of steel in the floor of Bridge
• Walkway: made of 1,292 planks of deck; about 250 are replaced annually
• Original cost to build: $350,000 – cost today about $15 million
• Bridge will support in excess of two million pounds
I rafted under this bridge the day before taking this picture.
Page Scores range from 0% to 100%. The higher the score, the higher the perceived quality of the image. Score is not a simple average of votes, but takes into account the number of votes and the power of the voters.
For every object, a hit is registered each time the object's main page is viewed. A user's hits are the sum of all the hits on the objects he or she owns.