Royal Mtn./Victoria Peak

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.56666°N / 106.10639°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 24, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Hiking with Family

At the base of the 10 Mile Range in Frisco, our family - 11 of us, ranging from 4 to 62 decided to get as high as we could on Royal Mountain/Victoria Peak on our break day while on a magnificent ski trip.

We talked to some local folks who gave some thoughts and directions on following the trail up the mountain. We took our time since none were good at altitude and played in the snow along the way. Starting on the bike path outside of Frisco, we got to somewhere around 10,000 feet before losing the trail in the new snow. We wandered about a bit, but the snow was too deep for us all to continue - no one with snow shoes.

We made our way down taking in the great views, rolling snowballs down the side of the mountain, and realizing the painful extent of the beetle infestation.

It was a great day and the first time I've been able to bring family members in the mountains for a hike. Great time!
Family on Royal Mtn.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
hgrapid

hgrapid - Mar 30, 2009 7:24 pm - Hasn't voted

1969?

This trip report doesn't seem like it was for a hike 40 years ago. Yet it says 1969.

mikerivault

mikerivault - Mar 31, 2009 10:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: 1969?

Thanks - no it wasn't. It was 5 weeks ago. Somehow I missed that key piece. :)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2