Santa Maria

Santa Maria

View of Santiaguito eruption from Santa Maria.
mmcguigan
on May 11, 2008 4:54 pm
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing
Image ID: 402976

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Baarb

Baarb - Oct 13, 2008 2:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Do you have

a precise date for this picture? Thanks.

mmcguigan

mmcguigan - Oct 15, 2008 12:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Do you have

I'm pretty sure this was taken in the middle of Feb. 08. I'll look it up when I get home.

BLong

BLong - Sep 7, 2009 4:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Do you have

Great Photo! Baarb, eruptions like that are common from Santiaguito -- they happen several times each day. When Santiaguito was 'born' (Oct 1902) the volcano destroyed several towns, burring them under a meter of heavy, pumice ash and stone.

Baarb

Baarb - Sep 8, 2009 1:35 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Do you have

Thanks for the info though I'm familiar with Santiaguito, have done field work there a couple of times. I was interested in the date because I'm compiling records of the changing morphology of El Caliente so that more realistic models of magma transport can be made. Also, Santiaguito started growing in 1922 though the initial eruption of Santa Maria was as you say in 1902.

mmcguigan

mmcguigan - Sep 8, 2009 9:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Do you have

According to the date imprint on the photo file, the picture was taken on February 9, 2008. The time was probably late morning/early afternoon. Hope that helps. BTW, have you been up Ojos del Salado? I heading that way this year and am looking for someone that has been up the Chilean route that can share some insight.

Baarb

Baarb - Sep 8, 2009 9:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Do you have

Thanks for checking up on that date. Haven't been to Ojos del Salado though I notice that there's a trip report which I gather is from the Chilean side and also one or two climbers logs on the Ojos del Salado page. Hope your trip works out, I'm sure your findings will be appreciated on your return.

BLong

BLong - Sep 8, 2009 11:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Do you have

That sounds really interesting. I lived in San Martín Sacatepéquez (a small Mam, Maya town just west of Santa María) for 27 months. During this time I compiled several interesting stories -- via ethnographic research -- regarding the initial eruption of Santiaguito. Let me know if you are interested in seeing them!

mmcguigan

mmcguigan - Sep 8, 2009 9:32 am - Hasn't voted

I'll get the date for you

Sorry for taking so long. We recently moved back to the States. Our stuff has arrived so I'll get the exact date for you.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8