Santaquin Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

luke.mease@gmail.com - Jul 3, 2021 8:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Bennie Creek Trailhead/BIrdseye CLOSED

The trail up from the Bennie Creek Trailhead (accessed from Birdseye) is closed, presumably due to fire within the past few seasons.

According to a couple of hikers who recently braved the ascent from that (former) trailhead, route finding was relatively straightforward (follow the draw that starts at the "Trail Closed" sign up until you hit the big meadow in the cirque below Loafer mountain peak, in a pretty straight N/NW direction). It was, per these two, definitely not enjoyable. The former trail is reportedly already pretty overgrown and not feasibly followed, so it's either scrambling up crumbly rock in the creekbed or bushwhacking the steep terrain on either side.

Per this pair- definitely not recommended.

Also, per other information on the web, it appears that the Bennie Creek Trail proper (connecting the Birdseye/Bennie Creek (former) trailhead and the Loafer Mountain trail is also closed.

Looks like for now the road up out of Birdseye will only get you a few miles of gravel road and maybe a skeptical wave from the cowboys working up there.

Scott

Scott - Jul 4, 2021 6:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bennie Creek Trailhead/BIrdseye CLOSED

OK thanks; I will update the page.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Santaquin Peak' main page