SE Ridge Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
gimpilator

gimpilator - Sep 16, 2011 3:06 pm - Voted 10/10

False Route

Overall, this is a very good informative page. I climbed this peak a few days ago and I wanted to let you know about a problem I encountered. Around 2750 meters, there is a junction in the scramble trail. The left branch stays near the crest of the ridge while the right branch traverses on a level grade.

At first I followed the traverse path because it looked well traveled. I could tell from how well developed it was that hundreds of people have gone this way. There were also numerous cairns. From the fork you can see that the path leads to a notch about 300 meters away. Beyond the notch the trail ended in a gully below the summit and false summit. The gully was steep and loose and partly filled with snow. I climbed up about half way before I decided it was unsafe.

On the way back to the junction I destroyed all the cairns and built a blockade of rocks to block off that trail. The left fork did lead me to the summit after-wards. Would you consider mentioning this false route on the page so others don't make the same deceptive mistake that I did? I can upload a photograph of the fork for you if you like.

Also, I think it's important to say that for the last 150 vertical meters, one should not drop below 20 meters of the ridge crest.

Wandering Sole Images

Wandering Sole Images - Sep 27, 2011 12:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: False Route

Hey gimpilator! Sorry it has taken me so long to respond... it's been in the back of mind the whole time though. I wouldn't mind seeing the photo you had mentioned. When I last did Wilcox, the worn trail lead me to the subpeak without any issues. You did a good thing by correcting that situation. Even without snow in that gully, it doesn't sound like a desirable route. I will try to incorporate this information into the page. When I've done it perhaps you can have a look to see that I've described the situation correctly? Had that false route become as worn as the proper route?

gimpilator

gimpilator - Sep 28, 2011 12:27 am - Voted 10/10

Re: False Route

My hope is that other people won't make the mistake. The thing that confused me at first was that beyond the junction, the false trail appeared to be much more worn than the correct way. I think this is because the rock near the ridge crest is more solid while lower down on the face there is more loose debris. I'm leaving in the morning for another trip but when I get back I'll upload that photo for you. I'd be happy to take a look at any changes you make. Thanks very much for being flexible on this matter.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'SE Ridge' main page