Viewing: 1-17 of 17
nartreb

nartreb - Mar 9, 2007 3:24 pm - Hasn't voted

units

for attributes like cellpadding, it's a good idea to specify which units you intend to use (typically pixels or typographic "points"), otherwise different browsers will make differing assumptions.
Also, it's a good habit to place attribute values in quotes, even though it's not really necessary in the examples given.
Thus border="10px" is better than border=10

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Mar 14, 2007 9:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: units

When I began this article, I included the use of "quotes." But while testing I discovered that the browser I normally use, Mozilla Firefox, has a tendency to get confused when quotes are included with a few of the attribute values. Thus, I rewrote the article with no mention of them.

Next time I'm doing some testing I'll PM you with a list of the offending attributes.

Mike

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Mar 10, 2007 2:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent!

Where was this last week? I've been reworking the Worth Another Look custom object for the past week (it's still in work, BTW). This excellent article, and the one on pictures in tables, address all the issues with which I have been struggling as I rework that page to better showcase the work of some of SP's finest photographers. Thanks! --mark d.

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Mar 10, 2007 11:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent!

I'm happy you're finding it useful. It validates my reason for writing it.

Mike

weeds19

weeds19 - Mar 10, 2007 6:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Help!

From somebody who is just beginning to dabble in HTML, I found this article to be very informative and useful. Thanks for taking the time to write it up!

T Sharp

T Sharp - Mar 11, 2007 10:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Mike;

This article in combination with your "Oh My" article cover the code very nicely and completely. They are both very well written and easy to read!
Congratulations, and well done!
Thanks;
Tim

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Mar 11, 2007 11:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Mike;

Thanks Tim,

Some day I hope to know as much about HTML as you do about climbing - I'll keep working with that as my goal.

Mike

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Mar 13, 2007 3:58 pm - Voted 10/10

very helpful!

Also well organized, slowly adding complexity. Thanks!

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Mar 14, 2007 8:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice tutorial, but if you use SP inline images

then some special attention may be needed for the tables further down the page.

Basically I found that tables tend to overlap images inserted ahead of them by the SP page editor's "insert image" function.

So if you are using inline images, a safe bet is to include <BR CLEAR=ALL> instead of the usual carriage return (this gives the browser an instruction to make sure that the next element - such as your table - is displayed low enough to clear the elements above it on all sides).

Also <NOFORMAT> and </NOFORMAT> may be useful flanking tags for your table whenever you suspect that SP's own formatting mechanisms may overdo the job (your table is probably already formatted to perfection, right ;) ? )

nartreb

nartreb - Mar 14, 2007 8:55 pm - Hasn't voted

NOFORMAT

This tag is practically mandatory when using tables on SP. If you do not include it, any line breaks within the table (and there should be many, lest your table be incomprehensible when you try to modify it later) will appear as blank lines below the table, so you'll end up with big gaps on your page.

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Mar 14, 2007 9:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice tutorial, but if you use SP inline images

Thanks for the reminders. I added your suggestions as a HINT in the Summary section of the article. Thanks again.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Mar 15, 2007 7:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: <NOFORMAT> not only for line breaks

Actually to say the truth, I don't have any text in my SP HTML tables ever.

I only use tables to format pictures in horizontal rows for TRs, and in HTML it is just a one-liner without any line breaks. This said, it is still imperative to sandwich the stuff between NOFORMAT tags ... the line break situation isn't the only time when it saves you from surprises :)

cp0915

cp0915 - Mar 20, 2007 8:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Amazing!

Good job. I'm f'n lost.

mtn ear

mtn ear - Mar 22, 2007 3:01 am - Voted 10/10

Perfect!

Finally got around to reading this tutorial! Just what I was looking for! Now I just need to think of another list to try it out... Thanks for your efforts!

johnm

johnm - Jun 22, 2007 12:39 am - Voted 10/10

Luvin HTML now baby!

A great tutorial. First try and it worked great. Gave me such a good understanding that I was able to intuitively try some things you didn't mention and it still worked. Thanks now I'm addicted

D-bo

D-bo - Feb 11, 2009 9:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Good Resource!

This greatly enhanced the table I just put up on my profile page.

laurencereading - Dec 27, 2010 12:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Opps

The above post on how to make lists did not work at the html was turned into a list. If you highlight the list and right click on it, then select 'view source' you can see how it was done.

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'Setting Tables Using HTML' main page