Shifting Sand Dunes 2300 meters above sea level from a pure desert beneath Shigar's encircling high peaks

Shifting Sand Dunes 2300 meters above sea level from a pure desert beneath Shigar's encircling high peaks

Afzal
on Nov 30, 2007 2:43 am
Image ID: 361367

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lcarreau

lcarreau - Dec 6, 2007 10:43 am - Voted 10/10

Afzal ?

How did the sand arrive here? Did it all fall down from the mountains? It is pure white. When the river rises, it moves all the sand downriver. Does this river flow into the ocean??? Thanks for the wonderful image!!!

Afzal

Afzal - Dec 7, 2007 5:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Afzal ?

Basically, Baltistan is an alpine desert, perhaps the most forbidding, fearfull and beautiful landscape anywhere on earth. Shifting sand dunes 7000 feet above sea level froma pure desert beneath , Baltsitan's valleys encircling snow capped sentinel peaks, and almost perfect replica of Africa's Sahara. The sand is pure white and when river rises some sand downdrives. Pakistan's main river, 2896 Kms. long mighty Indus enanates in southern Tibet and flows North West. Cutting through the Karakoram and Himalayas, it passes through Ladakh and Skardu valleys. It turns southward near Gilgit, seperating Hindukush and Himalays. It flows southward from kalabagh and meandering through the plains of punjab and sindh disgorges its water in to the Arabian sea, near Karachi. The river seen in the photo is river shiger and its meets in the waters of might Indus at Skardu.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Dec 7, 2007 8:53 am - Voted 10/10

Fertile valleys,

snow-capped mountains and forbidding sands!!!
Your country is very beautiful! There's people
living in the Karakoram, yes? Or, do most of the people live in Ladakh and Skardu valleys?
You have a very nice way of describing the
unique landscape of your country. Thank you!
If I ever come to your country, I would like to have you as my Guide.

Afzal

Afzal - Dec 7, 2007 11:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fertile valleys,

Thank you very much for your nice reply. I am also blessed with perhaps the world's most spectacular and diverse scenery. From the stunning high peaks and glaciers of Karakoram, Hindukush and Himalayan mountain renages in Northern Areas, to the vast desert areas in the southern Sindh region, to the camel and trading routes of Khyber Pass on the western Afghanistan border, to beaches alongwith the arabian sea near the port of Karachi and the ancient cities of Lahore, Rawalpindi, and Peshawar in between, Pakistan has something to suit everyone. The Baltistan covering in area of 26000 sq.km, comprises 5 valleys, Skardu, Khaplu, Shigar, Rondu and Kharmang. Baltistan in Balti means the land of Balti people. About one million people living these valleys of Baltistan. The ladksh is not part of Baltistan, the ladakh is located in Indian Held Kashmir.
Thanks again for your kind comments. I personally invite you to come explore and experience Pakistan and I promise you the journey of a lifetime to see Pakistan's most incredible places and friendly faces.
Best regards, Afzal

Viewing: 1-4 of 4