Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.9524°S / 43.2128°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2309 ft / 704 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Corcovado is the most popular mountain in Rio de Janeiro, about 300.000 people visit the monument everyear. Corcovado is in Serra da Carioca, a little range inside Tijuca National Park. The mountains are surrounded by the city, for all sides. Over there, you can see the Rio's south zone, center zone, north zone, Niterói and the country side. The mountains around Corcovado are : Pedra da Gavea, Sugar Loaf, Tijuca Peak and Sumaré Antennas. The view is stunning, but you can go to the summit by car , because the monument for Jesus Christ is very popular around the world.






Getting There

The mountain is very easy to go. There are three classical ways to the summit: From south zone, go to Laranjeiras district and drive to Cosme Velho and get the Corcovado road. From north zone, go to Tijuca National Park and turns to Paineiras road. You pass over Sumaré Antennas. The 3rd option is by train. Take the same way to Cosme Velho. The train departs from Cosme Velho Square.

Red Tape

The Park is very security. Over there , many policemans are looking to you and what you doing there.

K2 Route

The hardest route to climb Corcovado is the K2 Route. Look the photos of this way.

When To Climb

Every day when the weather is good.

Camping

There aren't camping at Corcovado. Rio de Janeiro is a dangerous city to camp. Have another places to camp but, not in Corcovado mountain.

Mountain Conditions

Enter the site www.cptec.inpe.br for Rio's forecasts.