Church Fork

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.70700°N / 111.7592°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

From I-215 on the east side of Salt Lake valley, take either the 3300 or 3900 South exit, and proceed east to Wasatch Boulevard. Follow Wasatch Boulevard to 3800 South, and look for signs to Mill Creek Canyon. Proceed approximately 3.75 miles up Mill Creek Canyon to the Church Fork picnic area on the left. Park either along the road or in the small parking area at the trailhead, approximately ½ mile from the main road.

The parking lot usually fills up early on Saturdays.

Church Fork TrailWinter on the Church Fork Trail.


 Grandeur Peak Routes...The Church Fork Route is marked "A" on the map.

Route Description

From the trailhead, follow the trail for the first 0.7 miles up through the forested Church Fork drainage. From there, the trail continues up hill in a series of switchbacks for another 0.5 of a mile. At this point the trail starts heading in a more Westerly direction towards the peak.

Continue along the trail in a westerly direction for 0.8 miles to the top of Mill Creek Ridge. From this point you can see down into Parleys Canyon (I-80). Continue Westerly for another 0.6 miles to the top. This is the steepest part of the trail, but the trail is well graded and well used.

As you approach the summit, the views of the Salt Lake Valley really open up. You can head the faint hum of traffic echoing up from the city, which is a stark contrast to the rather quiet trail that you ascended.

The route is 5.2 miles round trip with 2340 feet elevation gain.

Heading back down. Awesome...Descending the Church Fork Trail.


Grandeur Peak. Photo taken from east of Grandeur Peak. Much of the Church Fork Route can be seen in the photo.

Essential Gear

Normal hiking gear.

In winter, snowshoes and trekking poles are usually needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.