Catherine Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.58510°N / 111.6011°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Basic Snow Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Drive to Brighton Ski Resort at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Use the Lake Mary Trailhead, which begins at the Brighton Ski Lodge, which is at the far end of the skier parking lot.

For the Alta Ski Resort parking lot, or the trailhead parking in Albion Basin, see the 'Getting There' section on the mountain page for more info.

Route Description


Albion Basin
Total Distance: 2 mi
Total Elevation Gain: 1400'

Brighton
Total Distance: 3 mi
Total Elevation Gain: 2000'

Albion Basin to Catherine Pass (courtesy of "Hiking the Wastach"):
"The short but steep trail to Catherine Pass leads through a variety of sub-alpine environments to a fine view of" upper Little Cottonwood Canyon and the Brighton ski area.
"The trail starts from the Albion Basin road, at the junction 0.1 mile before the hiker parking area. Looking northeast from the parking area, a side road heads from the automobile road junction toward some cabins. On the steep hillside above the side road are several sets of eroded tracks. At the top of this hill, the slop levels off, and a short hanging valley leads directly to Catherine Pass."

Brighton to Catherine Pass: Take the Lake Mary trail (ca. 8,800ft) 0.73 miles, and then choose the turnoff to Dog Lake (ca. 9,400ft). After crossing a stream, as you near Dog Lake, take a right fork in the trail, which continues for another 0.82 miles to Lake Catherine (ca. 9,920ft), which lies below Pioneer Peak and Sunset Peak. Alternatively, you can continue to Lake Mary, keeping sure to stay on a trail that follows the east (left) side of the lake. This route meanders more, but passes by Lake Mary and Lake Martha. Take the right fork at Lake Catherine for another 0.45 miles to Catherine Pass (ca. 10,220ft).

Catherine Pass: There is a use trail that branches off of the maintained trails at the pass just opposite of the trail that heads to Sunset Peak. The use trail follows the ridgeline, tops out over the summit of Mt Tuscarora, and continues to the summit of Mt Wolverine, where it terminates. There is mild boulderhopping along the way.

Essential Gear


10 Essentials. In winter, bring an avy beacon, and either snowshoes or skis.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.