From Refuge Mantova del Vioz

From Refuge Mantova del Vioz

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.41610°N / 10.61750°E
Additional Information Route Type: Basic Snow/Glacier Climb and UIAA II
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy climb and glacier climb
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


First you must ascend to the Refuge Mantova del Vioz on the altitude 3535m. This hut is very popular and you will meet a lot of people.

You drive with car to the village called Peio Fonti from Trento about 80 km.
Here you park and go to the cable car.

The first stage of the ascent is the cable car ride to Rifugio Doss dei Cembri at approximately 2300m of altitude. Here you start on a dirt road that eventually evolves into Sentiero Tedesco. Before it does turn right over a shoulder and start climbing to the first ridge south of Cima Vioz (2504m). Get to the northeastern side of the ridge and keep climbing always on this side. The trail winds its way towards Dente del Vioz (2905m) where it changes through a pass to the southwestern side of the ridge which it never leaves until the final ascent.

At the pass near Dente del Vioz you’ll get your firt glimpses of the Presanella group with Cima Presanella gleaming in the sunlight to the south. The ridge leads you to the southern face of Monte vioz which has to be climbed in serpentines until you reach Rifugio Mantovia del Vioz. After a short rest advance on the southern summit ridge to the side summit (cross). The real summit is some 20m higher and a glacier ridge has to be crossed to get there. Now you are on Monte Vioz 3645m.


Route Description


From here you descend on glacier and follow the ridge to the peak in ridge on altitude 3555m. Then you cross the glacier and descend to the Pass della Vedretta Rossa 3405m. Then you climb a few meters on glacier and come on the rocky ridge. You climb over that ridge and come on the summit.

Then you can continue ridge to the Cevedale or you descend by the same route.

Essential Gear


Ice pick, crampons, rope.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.