Mountain Dell Canyon / Affleck Park

Mountain Dell Canyon / Affleck Park

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.83490°N / 111.7176°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the main page 'Getting There' section for details on reaching the trailhead at Affleck Park picnic area.

Stats

One-Way Hiking Distance: 3.5 miles
Elevation Gain: 2,741 ft.
Average Gain per Mile: 783 ft.

Trailhead Elevation: 6,213 ft.
Summit Elevation: 8,954 ft.

Route Description

This route to the summit begins at the Affleck Park picnic area, on the west side of Utah Highway 65. Follow the road north through the picnic area approximately 1000 feet.

Just beyond picnic site #6 a jeep road leaves the main road on the left. Follow the jeep road as it winds slowly up to the west.

Approximately 0.75 miles from the picnic area the jeep road reaches a saddle and a 4-way junction with a trail running north-south. This is the same saddle which is reached from the Killyon Canyon route.

At the 4-way trail junction turn right (north) and follow the trail up the ridge, curving slowly to the west as it approaches the summit.

The true summit is the last of several high points along the ridge, approximately 2.5 miles from the 4-way trail junction at the saddle.

Essential Gear

No special gear is required.

The majority of the trail is on a south facing slope which will be fully exposed to the sun, and very hot in the summer. Dress accordingly and carry plenty of water.

Snowshoes or skis will obviously be required for ascents during winter and early spring.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.