Brighton Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.58510°N / 111.6011°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike, some easy scrambling.
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start at either the Silver Lake parking lot at Brighton Ski Resort, or the parking slightly higher up for the Lake Mary trail.

Route Description


This hike can be done in either direction, starting at Silver Lake and ending at Lake Mary, or vice versa. I prefer to start from Silver Lake.

This is one of the most outstanding half day hikes in the Wasatch. The scenery is outstanding, and once beyond Twin Lakes, or Catherine Pass, there is usually very minimal traffic.

Hike the boardwalk around Silver Lake and take the marked trail to Twin Lakes at a junction shortly beyond Silver Lake. A short, steep trail leads to Twin Lakes. From here continue up the trail to Twin Lakes Pass where a trail from Alta meets at the ridge. The trail ends here, but it is easy off-trail hiking up the steep tundra slope towards Wolverine. A faint trail re-appears as you approach the summit along rugged Wolverine Cirque.

From the summit, continue east down and over rocky Mt. Tuscarora (a subpeak of Wolverine), then scramble down some steep rocks (no exposure) to the trail coming up from Catherine Pass. From Catherine Pass you are on a good trail for about 2.5 miles back past Lakes Catherine and Mary to the Brighton parking lot. A short walk leads you back to your car at the Silver Lake parking lot.

Total distance is about five miles, with a 2,000 foot elevation gain.

Essential Gear


Standard day hiking equipment, nothing technical needed in summer or fall.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.