East Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.83850°N / 111.7496°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trail Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The directions on the main page of North Peak are very accurate so I included them here rather than writing my own. The main page information is provided by Joseph Bullough.

"North Peak is accessed most easily from the Nebo Loop Road. To reach the trailhead take the Payson Exit (exit 254) from Interstate-15 and proceed south through the town of Payson to 100 North. Turn left (east) on 100 North for approximately 0.25 miles, then turn right (south) on 600 East, which is the beginning of the Nebo Loop Road. Follow the Nebo Loop Road for approximately 24 miles to a dirt turnoff and parking area on the right (west) side of the road, which is the trailhead for the Nebo Bench Trail. Take the dirt road on the north side of the parking and proceed an additional 0.3 miles along the Mona Pole Road, until the road crosses a cattle guard. Park near the fence to the left (south) of the cattle guard.

Thanks to Summitpost member rmjwinters for his excellent directions which I used for locating this trailhead when I climbed North Peak."

Route Description


Take the Nebo Bench Trail which travels west toward North Peak's north ridge. As you come closer to the ridge, the trail will travel south through the Nebo Basin along the east face of North Peak.

Follow the trail until you are directly beneath North Peak's summit. Look to the summit and you will notice a faint spur that leads directly from the summit to the basin floor. Travel up the spur to the top.

The east face is a good class 3 scramble. No climbing maneuvers are necessary, but there is some serious exposure as you near the summit. Place your feet carefully and go slow.

You can check out our trip report here.

Essential Gear


Basic hiking gear needed for summer/fall attempts.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.