Northeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.81020°N / 110.6231°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the traffic light in Kamas and the intersection of route 248 and 32, head north 0.1 to SR 150 (Mirror Lake Highway). Turn Right onto SR 150 and follow for 49 miles to FR 058, turn right onto FR 058 (gravel road) and follow for 21.2 miles to the intersection with another gravel road heading north-south. Turn right and follow road south for approximately 5 miles to the signed parking area for the Bear-River Smiths Fork trail and Red Castle Lake. This trailhead is about a mile short of the main East Fork Blacks Fork Trailhead.

Route diagram of Tokewanna...Blue = Northeast Ridge Route.

Route Description

From the trailhead, follow the well-marked Bear River-Smiths Fork Trail west. The trail isn't used that much, but is well maintained and easy to follow at this point. The trail switchbacks up to the broad Northeast Ridge. One on the highpoint of the trail, turn south and follow the ridge. There is no trail at all beyone here, but the ridge is fairly gentle until right before you climb to the summit of the peak. You will pass over or north of BM 11,364. Continue west to the minor saddle west of BM 11,364. This is the recommended campsite, and there is a nice and sheltered little campsite here. This entire ridge is one of the very few routes in the Uintas which has a lack of water poblem. Before early-August, snowbanks are usually plentiful, but in late-August into September, they are often melted off, except for very high on the peak. One reason that the saddle is a recommended campsite is because of a perennial water supply not too far away. After dropping the packs at the campsite, take your water bottles and drop off the ridge and down the slope to the south. There is a perennial spring just below the ridge which is not on any map. The spring was a real treat when we "discovered" it on one September day. The next morning, continue up the Northeast Ridge to the summit of Tokewanna. Photo of route. There are several flase summits to pass over. The last part of the ridge is rugged and requires scambling. Enjoy the fine views from the summit. The total round trip distance is about 19 miles on this route, and takes two long days.

NE ridge of TokewannaTokewanna's gentle northeast ridge.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.